Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Aug 17, 2011, 03:18 PM   #1
rabsparks
macrumors newbie

External Hard Drive Suggestions

I would appreciate any suggestions with reliability being a major factor for a hard drive that I can use to back up my Imac's internal hard drive (500 GB).
rabsparks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2011, 03:38 PM   #2
roland.g
macrumors 603

Depends on what you want and budget. Personally I go for the OWC Elite AL-Pro cases. $45 for FW400/USB or $80 for the FW800 quad interface. Then get a drive from NewEgg. 1.5TB Hitachi Deskstars run $65. 1TB would be less. Also OWC (macsales.com) has their Classic case for about $40-50. Build your own is easy and cheap. Don't get smaller than a 1TB drive.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 03:38 PM   #3
Taz Mangus
macrumors 65816

I bought two of Iomega Black Belt 1TB portable drives. I use one for the time machine backups and one to store my media files on. I like it because it is small and the FW-800 ports can be chained together. I place mine on a backpack shelf on the back of the iMac. This allows me to reduce the amount of power cords and also hides the drives out of sight. The drives have a 3 years warantee which is nice.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 07:55 PM   #4
Spike88
macrumors 6502a

I've got the WD external (see my signature file) via FW connection. Went with this specific unit because its vented. Many of the smaller 2.5" don't have vents. Thus, tend to run a little hotter. Went with larger 3.5" with its own cooling system. Having FW connection was a great feature as well...

Works for me...
Old Aug 21, 2011, 06:56 PM   #5
rabsparks
macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the inputs

First I would like to thank you for taking the time to give me your hard drive recommendations. After doing a fair amount of research on the subject, I decided to buy a WD Elements drive. I like the WD pricing, and I figured that I might as well take a chance on this drive. There were plusses and minuses on all the reviewed drives.

So since there is nothing outstanding regarding my possible choices, I figured that it was hit or miss.

Once again, thanks for your input.

rick
rabsparks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2011, 03:06 PM   #6
Stan Mikulenka
macrumors 6502

Hi rabsparks,
if you worry about the longevity of your HD, then you have to buy the 'Enterprise solution' commercial HD, not the 'MickeyMouse' hard drives every 'expert' here is telling you to buy...
They usually cost 3~5 times more than the 'off the shelf' hard drives you get everywhere.
Stan Mikulenka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 05:05 AM   #7
niksimpsons
Banned

Well its an old thread and has been answered i used Seagates HDD which has a dual format can be used for Mac as well Windows.I am using 500GB its flexible and very fast.
niksimpsons is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 05:08 AM   #8
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by niksimpsons View Post
Try to check Seagates HDD which has a dual format can be used for Mac as well Windows.I am using 500GB its flexible and very fast.
The OP made their selection 4 months ago.
GGJstudios is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 08:40 AM   #9
davys
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz Mangus View Post
I bought two of Iomega Black Belt 1TB portable drives. I use one for the time machine backups and one to store my media files on. I like it because it is small and the FW-800 ports can be chained together. I place mine on a backpack shelf on the back of the iMac. This allows me to reduce the amount of power cords and also hides the drives out of sight. The drives have a 3 years warantee which is nice.
many thanks for the heads up on the BackPack Shelf Taz...much appreciated!
davys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:09 AM   #10
niksimpsons
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
The OP made their selection 4 months ago.
YES i know I noticed the dates and figured out although the OP has long since resolved the situation, the comments might help somebody else in a similar situation who want to use an external drive for both Mac & Win.
niksimpsons is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Tags
backup, external hard drive, hard drive