Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rabsparks

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Maryland
I would appreciate any suggestions with reliability being a major factor for a hard drive that I can use to back up my Imac's internal hard drive (500 GB).

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Depends on what you want and budget. Personally I go for the OWC Elite AL-Pro cases. $45 for FW400/USB or $80 for the FW800 quad interface. Then get a drive from NewEgg. 1.5TB Hitachi Deskstars run $65. 1TB would be less. Also OWC (macsales.com) has their Classic case for about $40-50. Build your own is easy and cheap. Don't get smaller than a 1TB drive.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I bought two of Iomega Black Belt 1TB portable drives. I use one for the time machine backups and one to store my media files on. I like it because it is small and the FW-800 ports can be chained together. I place mine on a backpack shelf on the back of the iMac. This allows me to reduce the amount of power cords and also hides the drives out of sight. The drives have a 3 years warantee which is nice.

Spike88

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
I've got the WD external (see my signature file) via FW connection. Went with this specific unit because its vented. Many of the smaller 2.5" don't have vents. Thus, tend to run a little hotter. Went with larger 3.5" with its own cooling system. Having FW connection was a great feature as well...

Works for me...

rabsparks

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Maryland
Thanks for all the inputs

First I would like to thank you for taking the time to give me your hard drive recommendations. After doing a fair amount of research on the subject, I decided to buy a WD Elements drive. I like the WD pricing, and I figured that I might as well take a chance on this drive. There were plusses and minuses on all the reviewed drives.

So since there is nothing outstanding regarding my possible choices, I figured that it was hit or miss.

Once again, thanks for your input.

rick

Stan Mikulenka

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2009
Calgary, Canada
Hi rabsparks,
if you worry about the longevity of your HD, then you have to buy the 'Enterprise solution' commercial HD, not the 'MickeyMouse' hard drives every 'expert' here is telling you to buy...
They usually cost 3~5 times more than the 'off the shelf' hard drives you get everywhere.

niksimpsons

macrumors member
May 12, 2011
Well its an old thread and has been answered i used Seagates HDD which has a dual format can be used for Mac as well Windows.I am using 500GB its flexible and very fast.

davys

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
Lanark
I bought two of Iomega Black Belt 1TB portable drives. I use one for the time machine backups and one to store my media files on. I like it because it is small and the FW-800 ports can be chained together. I place mine on a backpack shelf on the back of the iMac. This allows me to reduce the amount of power cords and also hides the drives out of sight. The drives have a 3 years warantee which is nice.

many thanks for the heads up on the BackPack Shelf Taz...much appreciated!

niksimpsons

macrumors member
May 12, 2011
The OP made their selection 4 months ago.
YES i know I noticed the dates and figured out although the OP has long since resolved the situation, the comments might help somebody else in a similar situation who want to use an external drive for both Mac & Win.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.