Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Aug 11, 2012, 09:17 AM   #126
Blackberryroid
Banned

This might give you an idea on what I meant by being able to adjust the target temperature from the menu bar:

It'll look something like that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-08-11 at 10.15.35 PM.png
Views:	75
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	352545  
Blackberryroid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:29 AM   #127
iaymnu
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackberryroid View Post
Yeah, checking the box for me doesn't help at all. It still crashes. It is a nice app, only needs more stability.

LostSoul80, I would also like to request that it would be nice if the user could have manual settings over the fan (the user will manually specify how fast the fan will run and if it should turn on or not).

And since there will be a case when users may sometimes not notice that their machines are going to get hot and the fans aren't running fast enough, I think UltraFan should display a message warning the user to either manually boost the fan speed up or let UltraFan automatically decide the best fan speed.

That would be PERFECT! I'd love to have that feature.

And it would also be nice if it could indicate that the fans are running or not (maybe add a spinning ball on the menu bar or something?)

and it would also be great if it could indicate how fast the fan is going (not in the menu bar, maybe when you click the icon in the menu bar).

And finally, I think it's super great that instead of appearing in it's own window whenever I would like to change the target temperature, it would be a huge time saver when I can adjust it from the menu bar (when I click a temperature, it would be lovely if the settings to adjust the target temperature will appear on the drop down menu). If you still don't get what I mean, it's sort of like the app "Battery Guard".

And since some users may not even like the features I requested (some may be bugged by the spinning ball on the menu bar), it would also be nice if it had an option to turn that feature off.

Sorry for the requests, I just think it would be nice to have all those features.

I spoke to soon. It closed again by itself after ~15mins. I have to hold of on using this on my rmbp. It is a shame since it is a very promising application.
iaymnu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2012, 12:15 PM   #128
LostSoul80
macrumors 68000

Long post.

Quote:
No, it didn't crash after opening the main window. It just suddenly crashed. I observed it carefully and then it suddenly disappeared from the menu bar. Although I clicked it at the last few seconds before it crashed, it didn't respond.
I'm sorry, but I need the exact details.
You opened UltraFan, set a target temperature (?), and then the app crashed; or: you opened the app, and without any further action it crashed by itself?

Quote:
While you're at it, it would be nice if you add an icon to the UltraFan application. It'll look better.

Since you said the issue is with ML's UI code, does that mean you can't fix the application? *gasp!*
As for the icon, I'm not a designer, so for the moment no icon.
No, that only means that I have to find a way to avoid that behaviour. I've seen many other apps are experiencing this type of issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaymnu View Post
I too have this bizarre "reset". I would pick a temp to set. (56c) then hit set. A check appears next to the temp and it would flash bold then normal a few times and then the program will close. I then have to reopen to set the temp again and the problem repeats. I'm running lion 10.7.4 on the rMBP.

Oddly enough when I check the box to save a log on desktop, then set temp, hit cancel and include a description, hit Ok now the app seems like its working. Hasn't closed and have a (check) next to the temp. Bold number means temperature change?
The check indicates the target is set, and bold that an increase in speed will be applied. If that flashing is disturbing, I can get rid of it.

As for the crash, that's interesting. You set a target, it runs, and eventually crashes. Can you please take a look in Console (spotlight it) > system.log > retrieve the .crash file and paste it here http://pastie.org/ ? That would be of great help.

I'd suggest, also, when you experience a crash, to open UltraFan, quickly set a target and then clicking "cancel". That way you are 100% sure UF is not managing anything. (I strongly suggest this whenever a crash occurs)

Quote:
So, LostSoul80, how are you planning to fix this and when are you going to be finished?

Speaking of programming, how long did it take you to code the very first version of this app?
I need to know exactly what's the responsible (I have more than one suspect) first, then rebuild, and then finish beta 3.
It didn't take a long time, can't remember exactly how much.

Quote:
LostSoul80, I would also like to request that it would be nice if the user could have manual settings over the fan (the user will manually specify how fast the fan will run and if it should turn on or not).

And since there will be a case when users may sometimes not notice that their machines are going to get hot and the fans aren't running fast enough, I think UltraFan should display a message warning the user to either manually boost the fan speed up or let UltraFan automatically decide the best fan speed.

That would be PERFECT! I'd love to have that feature.

And it would also be nice if it could indicate that the fans are running or not (maybe add a spinning ball on the menu bar or something?)

and it would also be great if it could indicate how fast the fan is going (not in the menu bar, maybe when you click the icon in the menu bar).

And finally, I think it's super great that instead of appearing in it's own window whenever I would like to change the target temperature, it would be a huge time saver when I can adjust it from the menu bar (when I click a temperature, it would be lovely if the settings to adjust the target temperature will appear on the drop down menu). If you still don't get what I mean, it's sort of like the app "Battery Guard".

And since some users may not even like the features I requested (some may be bugged by the spinning ball on the menu bar), it would also be nice if it had an option to turn that feature off.

Sorry for the requests, I just think it would be nice to have all those features.
Please, feel free to give feedback and suggest features!
I don't want to implement a manual system for regulating the fans' speed because this goes against the whole point of having this app.
However, I could code it easily. Can you justify a use for that?

As for having the main window in the menu bar, that's ok. I can do it. Not sure about the result, but I'll give it a try.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 05:06 PM   #129
iaymnu
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSoul80 View Post
Long post.

You opened UltraFan, set a target temperature (?), and then the app crashed; or: you opened the app, and without any further action it crashed by itself?

No, that only means that I have to find a way to avoid that behaviour. I've seen many other apps are experiencing this type of issue.

The check indicates the target is set, and bold that an increase in speed will be applied. If that flashing is disturbing, I can get rid of it.

As for the crash, that's interesting. You set a target, it runs, and eventually crashes. Can you please take a look in Console (spotlight it) > system.log > retrieve the .crash file and paste it here http://pastie.org/ ? That would be of great help.

I'd suggest, also, when you experience a crash, to open UltraFan, quickly set a target and then clicking "cancel". That way you are 100% sure UF is not managing anything. (I strongly suggest this whenever a crash occurs)

I need to know exactly what's the responsible (I have more than one suspect) first, then rebuild, and then finish beta 3.
It didn't take a long time, can't remember exactly how much.

I don't want to implement a manual system for regulating the fans' speed because this goes against the whole point of having this app.

As for having the main window in the menu bar, that's ok. I can do it. Not sure about the result, but I'll give it a try.

//edit

Pastie 1

Pastie 2
Pastie 3
These are the 3 most recent ones. I have quite a bunch of these logs for Ultrafan.

Pastie while playing diablo 3
Pastie reopening after the crashing playing diablo 3

Also restarting doesn't keep the settings of the target temp not sure if that is also a bug on my end.

Last edited by iaymnu; Aug 11, 2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 06:28 PM   #130
Blackberryroid
Banned

Quote:
Maybe if I want to go lower than 35 degrees? Or I just want to keep the fan on all the time (Just to be safe)? When the temperature is approaching the target temperature, the fans slow down. I want it to stay on all the time to prevent it from getting hot, rather than cooling it when it is already hot.

----------

[/COLOR]
Quote:
I had a target temperature set already. Moments before it crashed, I wanted to change the temperature so I clicked it on the menu bar, then it crashed. (I don't know what caused the crash, maybe when I clicked it).

Sometimes I can click it without crashing. Sometimes it crashes without me clicking it.

Last edited by Blackberryroid; Aug 11, 2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 07:56 PM   #131
Blackberryroid
Banned

Quote:
I'm a designer
I made an icon. The one on the zip file is the icns, the other is the PNG (for preview)
I made it myself, don't worry about copyright issues or being sued.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	UltraFan.png
Views:	10
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	352599  
Attached Files
File Type: zip UltraFan.icns.zip (247.1 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Blackberryroid; Aug 11, 2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 09:14 PM   #132
Blackberryroid
Banned

Quote:
Hi,
the maximum fans speed is determined basing on Apple's specification on a per fan basis and is set only if necessary. The goal of the app is to run without any user's effort, so letting him manually set the speed defeats the goal itself
Wait a second... OS X's Fan management already handles the automation of the fan, I think the goal of this application is to let the fans cool down the processor at the user's specified temperature. I still think it makes sense to add manual speed control on it (I already stated the reason in a previous post).

Turns out it doesn't crash without a set target temperature...

Last edited by Blackberryroid; Aug 11, 2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:01 AM   #133
iaymnu
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Wait a second... OS X's Fan management already handles the automation of the fan, I think the goal of this application is to let the fans cool down the processor at the user's specified temperature. I still think it makes sense to add manual speed control on it (I already stated the reason in a previous post).

Turns out it doesn't crash without a set target temperature...
Same here also. If I don't set a target temperature it runs without a hiccup.
Very frustrating.
iaymnu is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:28 AM   #134
Blackberryroid
Banned

Quote:
Very frustrating.
Not anymore when it gets a menu bar upgrade, stability upgrade and a fresh, new icon.

LostSoul80, why not just simply add a manual control? It makes perfect sense. It appears that some users want it. Give it a shot, you won't lose anything (you said you can code it easily). You could add a feature to turn it off when the user doesn't want it.

Last edited by Blackberryroid; Aug 12, 2012 at 07:35 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:24 AM   #135
iaymnu
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Not anymore when it gets a menu bar upgrade, stability upgrade and a fresh, new icon.

LostSoul80, why not just simply add a manual control? It makes perfect sense. It appears that some users want it. Give it a shot, you won't lose anything (you said you can code it easily). You could add a feature to turn it off when the user doesn't want it.

Does Ultrafan crash for you when you change from integrated to discreet for the gfxcard? It just crashed for me when that happens.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 02:34 PM   #136
LostSoul80
macrumors 68000

Turns out I didn't completely removed some debug code, which probably was the responsible of some crashes. It was a single line of code.

I have now pretty much finished Beta 3. Here is what it looks like:

The manual mode is self explanatory. I won't go further in that direction however, as I want to keep the app as simple and minimal as possible.

It is important that you read this:
  • If you experience unexpected behaviours (not a crash, but fans ramping up or not; for example a fun is not very responsive; etc), save a log and send it to me (via forum, email, website uploading etc). How to save a log? Check the dedicated checkbox, set a target temperature, let the unexpected behaviour happen, and reset UltraFan. Simple as that. Check your desktop for the log file I need.
  • If UltraFan crashes, report what happened in this thread, making sure to post your: computer, OS (10.6, etc), version of UltraFan, and a crash log.

Suggestion: If UltraFan crashes, make sure to open it again and quit it. This assures UltraFan isn't controlling your fans from the dead.

Attached you can download Revision 9 Beta 3 for 10.6+ (the final version will include 10.5 of course; contact me if you want to check out this beta on 10.5). The read me is just a copy paste from this post, in case someone happens to skip it.

Last edited by LostSoul80; Aug 18, 2012 at 08:22 AM.
LostSoul80 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2012, 04:00 PM   #137
Blackberryroid
Banned

Quote:

Image Image

The manual mode is self explanatory. I won't go further in that direction however, as I want to keep the app as simple and minimal as possible.

As for the icon, I like the inner part, but the outer transition is horrible in my opinion. Can you change it? I'll, of course, mention you in the credits. Thank you!
By the way, it looks cool even with that outer part. I'm thinking of keeping it, but if you can provide an alternative, that'd be great. Only one thing you'd have to correct: the shadow is cut out on the bottom and on the right.
OH! IT'S BEAUTIFUL! THANK YOU!

About the icon, sure I can change it. I'm working on it...

I tried to copy the Quicktime icon with that design.

Quote:
Does Ultrafan crash for you when you change from integrated to discreet for the gfxcard? It just crashed for me when that happens.
I'm not on a dedicated graphics card, just a MacBook Air. I haven't tested UltraFan on my other machines with dedicated graphics card (since they're pretty much dead).

Last edited by Blackberryroid; Aug 12, 2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 04:50 PM   #138
Blackberryroid
Banned

Quote:
As for the icon, I like the inner part, but the outer transition is horrible in my opinion. Can you change it? I'll, of course, mention you in the credits. Thank you!
By the way, it looks cool even with that outer part. I'm thinking of keeping it, but if you can provide an alternative, that'd be great. Only one thing you'd have to correct: the shadow is cut out on the bottom and on the right.
I made some new ones, with different colors (Blue, Red, Green). Which one are you picking?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	UltraFan2Blue.png
Views:	7
Size:	1,017.2 KB
ID:	352701  
Attached Files
File Type: zip UltraFanIcons.zip (522.6 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by Blackberryroid; Aug 13, 2012 at 05:23 AM.
Blackberryroid is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:51 PM   #139
iaymnu
macrumors 6502

Very good news to know that beta 3 is almost ready.! Looking forward to a "soon" release.
iaymnu is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2012, 06:53 AM   #140
Blackberryroid
Banned

UltraFan beta 3 is amazing! I love the manual controls! And... there's a bug already. When I'm clicking it, it isn't "Always on top of other windows". Could you fix that?

Last edited by Blackberryroid; Aug 13, 2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:56 AM   #141
Blackberryroid
Banned

Quote:
Very good news to know that beta 3 is almost ready.! Looking forward to a "soon" release.
It's already here! And it's amazing!
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:41 AM   #142
Blackberryroid
Banned

Quote:
If UltraFan crashes, report what happened in this thread, making sure to post your: computer, OS (10.6, etc), version of UltraFan, and a crash log.

I found another minor bug, well, it isn't really a bug, it's more of a "Missed a spot". When I'm running on manual mode (Set it to 100% on fan), then I switch to Automatic, it gives me an error that asks me to exit manual mode to enter automatic mode. The problem is, it says "Automatic mode is running." How could Automatic mode be running when I'm on manual?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	352821  
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:43 AM   #143
LostSoul80
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I found another minor bug, well, it isn't really a bug, it's more of a "Missed a spot". When I'm running on manual mode (Set it to 100% on fan), then I switch to Automatic, it gives me an error that asks me to exit manual mode to enter exit mode. The problem is, it says "Automatic mode is running." How could Automatic mode be running when I'm on manual?
Yes, should be "Manual mode is running".
If you want to enter auto mode, of course you have to uncheck the "enable manual" checkbox first.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:49 AM   #144
Blackberryroid
Banned

Quote:
If you want to enter auto mode, of course you have to uncheck the "enable manual" checkbox first.
Yeah, I already know that. Just a minor correction earlier.

But, there is another bug I discovered. It's really a bug now. When I click it, it shows up the settings for the fan (just as usual), but when I switch spaces, it doesn't move along.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:59 AM   #145
LostSoul80
macrumors 68000

Quote:
But, there is another bug I discovered. It's really a bug now. When I click it, it shows up the settings for the fan (just as usual), but when I switch spaces, it doesn't move along.
That's how it should be, it's a wanted feature. Sure enough, it doesn't make a lot of sense to keep open the UltraFan's main window.
I'll add on the left another symbol, to indicate that manual mode is on.
Auto mode's symbol is a check: √. Manual mode probably a tilde (~). I'll add it, as it makes easier to understand what's going on.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:27 AM   #146
Queen6
macrumors 65816

First shot of Beta 3 on Late 2011 15" MBP 2.4 i7, still only spooling up the right fan, both manual & auto modes

Late MBA looks good so far no issue, I will have a go with the Early 08 MBP 15" 2.4 Penryn later, Retina still working on that one so will leave alone for the mean time. Great pity about Beta 3 i can see you have put a lot of work into it...

Last edited by Queen6; Aug 13, 2012 at 09:36 AM.
Queen6 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:08 AM   #147
LostSoul80
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen6 View Post
First shot of Beta 3 on Late 2011 15" MBP 2.4 i7, still only spooling up the right fan, both manual & auto modes

Late MBA looks good so far no issue, I will have a go with the Early 08 MBP 15" 2.4 Penryn later, Retina still working on that one so will leave alone for the mean time. Great pity about Beta 3 i can see you have put a lot of work into it...
That is an unexpected behaviour, and I need the log to investigate on it. Please refer to the Beta 3 release post, so I can work on your issue.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:08 AM   #148
Queen6
macrumors 65816

Quote:
That is an unexpected behaviour, and I need the log to investigate on it. Please refer to the Beta 3 release post, so I can work on your issue.
Sure, I have never had any luck with this particular MBP with UltraFan, however unless others report the same issue it`s very difficult to say it`s the MBP 8.2 2.4 i7, UltraFan or simply an anomaly specific to this system. FWIW i observed the same with Beta 2 under Lion.
Queen6 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:09 AM   #149
iaymnu
macrumors 6502

Quote:

I am running D3 in windows mode and my Right fan is 5k rpm and left fan is 2.3k -2.2k rpm.

I can see the right fan ramp up, but the left fan never goes over 2.5k rpm

Quote:
Sure, I have never had any luck with this particular MBP with UltraFan, however unless others report the same issue it`s very difficult to say it`s the MBP 8.2 2.4 i7, UltraFan or simply an anomaly specific to this system. FWIW i observed the same with Beta 2 under Lion.
I too only see the right fan ramp up. rMBP here
Old Aug 13, 2012, 02:10 PM   #150
LostSoul80
macrumors 68000

Guys, I've written it many times now, and even put it in the read me file.
If you somehow missed it, read the part about "unexpected behaviours".
Without logs I can't do anything. I thought that was pretty clear already.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store