Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services

Old Aug 18, 2011, 12:00 AM   #1
gta50419
macrumors 6502

will iCloud use iPhone data plan?

will iCloud use iPhone data plan when listening to music from "the cloud"?
Don't think i cloud would be a great idea if it uses 3g data plan unless att comes out with a unlimited plan.

Anyone have an in dept article how iCloud works, the apple site didn't explain how all of it works.
gta50419 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2011, 12:06 AM   #2
blueroom
macrumors 603

Of course it'll use your data plan.
blueroom is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2011, 12:21 AM   #3
808?
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gta50419 View Post
listening to music from "the cloud"?
How would that work when nothing is streamed from iCloud?
808? is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2011, 12:29 AM   #4
gta50419
macrumors 6502

ok, sorry for the stupid question, just found out about "the cloud" yesterday. wasn't sure if "cloud" worked through internet or some type of free satellite service. but yeah i can see this failing for iPhone users, they're data will be maxed out on the first day of use.

Would only be useful for people who have MacBooks or for people who only listen to their iPhone in wifi areas.
gta50419 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2011, 12:51 AM   #5
Icaras
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by gta50419 View Post
ok, sorry for the stupid question, just found out about "the cloud" yesterday. wasn't sure if "cloud" worked through internet or some type of free satellite service. but yeah i can see this failing for iPhone users, they're data will be maxed out on the first day of use.

Would only be useful for people who have MacBooks or for people who only listen to their iPhone in wifi areas.
The above poster already mentioned that nothing is being streamed, so its up to you to be the smart consumer and use wifi spots or wifi sync to get your music to your device if you want to minimize your 3G data usage.

And data wont be as maxed out as easily as you think because iCloud backup only backs up the changes to your data, and updates are only in the form of delta.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 02:53 AM   #6
thunderbunny
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
And data wont be as maxed out as easily as you think because iCloud backup only backs up the changes to your data, and updates are only in the form of delta.
especially given the fact that backups only occur when connected to wifi, not 3G
thunderbunny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2011, 03:19 AM   #7
Icaras
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbunny View Post
especially given the fact that backups only occur when connected to wifi, not 3G
Nice! I didn't read that bit. Well there you go, OP. Really nothing to worry about after all then

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services