Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Aug 18, 2011, 10:32 AM   #1
redathene
macrumors newbie

Will my macbook pro read from a fat32 external drive

I am currently on a Dell desktop running Windows Vista. I purchased a Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Drive (1.5 TB) so that it would make transferring files easier for when I move to a MacBook Pro next week at college. As I will be using and working with a Mac 95% of the time, I purchased the mac version of the drive. I've downloaded the Paragon driver, and all seemed fairly well.

I tried transferring my files, but the transfer got stuck. Now, my drive is giving me an error that basically boils down to "you can't delete or modify or move stuff to this drive."

I'm leaving tomorrow morning, and I need to have my files leave with me and copy over. I don't get the new computer until Monday.

So, my question is:
I've heard that Fat32 will talk to both Windows and OS. Is this true, will this work for transferring assorted documents, music, pictures, and video, or have I wasted my time, money, and sanity trying to make my life easier? (Sorry to come off sharp, it's rather stressful enough without this problem.)
redathene is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2011, 10:35 AM   #2
miles01110
macrumors 604

Quote:
Will my macbook pro read from a fat32 external drive
Yes. In the future don't waste your money on buying "Mac formatted" drives. Any drive can be formatted to work with a Mac.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 11:24 AM   #3
-tWv-
macrumors 68000

Yes, Macs can both read/write FAT32. If you want read/write capability for NTFS drives you will have to install a driver like ntfs-3g
-tWv- is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help