Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
when i installed 10.2, i heard that it was a good idea to verify and repair your permissions just to be safe. i did that and fixed several errors: no big deal. about a day later, i could not use the keyboard in any opengl app, once again, a repair permissions fixed some problems and everything was fine. a few days later, my internet connection slowed to a crawl, and eventually stopped working all together (right before my eyes-the permissions were being corrupted while the computer was in use). the solution? you guessed it, repair permissions. i started running diskutility off of the bootcd every day, just to clear up these issues, and there were always problems to be fixed. i assumed that this was some weird bug that would be addressed with 10.2.1, but as i've found out, the problem persists. i've tried to ignore it, but eventually some aspect of the system slows to a whimpering halt. i'm not installing lots of new software that's messing with passwords or anything, this happens from light daily use.

does anyone know how this problem can be remedied? it's a real pain, but no one else seems to be reporting this kind of persistent trouble. i did an erase and install of jaguar on a single partition g3 imac (not that hardware should matter).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.