Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Aug 18, 2011, 04:58 PM   #1
Yumunum
macrumors 65816

Is it possible to hook a Thunderbolt display...

To an HDTV, and have dual displays for my computer?

For example, I want to plug my MacBook (in clamshell) into a Thunderbolt display on my desk, and have an HDTV mounted on the wall near my desk for others to view. When watching movies through netflix or showing people Youtube videos, I could then continue whatever I'm doing on the Thunderbolt display while they could see whatever I was showing them on the other.

I hope that made sense... Thanks in advance!
Yumunum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2011, 06:25 PM   #2
bookwormsy
macrumors regular

Yes. You would go Macbook-Thunderbolt cable-Thunderbolt display-Mini Displayport cable-mDP to HDMI adapter-HDMI-HDTV. The Thunderbolt display has a Thunderbolt port in the back so you would put the mDP cable there.
bookwormsy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2011, 07:20 PM   #3
craigsharp
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to craigsharp
Or you could just get an ATV2... It does everything you said, netflix, youtube, even movies you have on your macbook... Afterall this is the Apple TV section of the forums...
craigsharp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2011, 07:25 PM   #4
Yumunum
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsharp View Post
Or you could just get an ATV2... It does everything you said, netflix, youtube, even movies you have on your macbook... Afterall this is the Apple TV section of the forums...
But that can't even do 1080p, correct? :/ and how would you even browse YouTube without a keyboard and mouse? Maybe I need to learn more about the Apple TV... thanks for the help!

Also, will my computer remember the correct display settings everytime I plug it in? I've never used my computer with an external monitor before, not to mention 2 monitors
Yumunum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2011, 07:41 PM   #5
obsidian1200
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumunum View Post
Also, will my computer remember the correct display settings everytime I plug it in? I've never used my computer with an external monitor before, not to mention 2 monitors
In my experience, yes the computer will remember the display settings every time you plug it in and unplug it. I am not sure how well this works with multiple displays, but seeing as the ones I've used have different identifier tags (whatever the display tells the computer to identify it as), I would think it would work just fine
obsidian1200 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater