Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 18, 2011, 09:33 PM   #1
Che Castro
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: May 2009
Question so if theres no Announcement of ATV3 in september ...

we will have to wait till next year or beyond for a new hardware update?

has apple ever held any media events after September like in the past
Che Castro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2011, 09:40 PM   #2
nunes013
macrumors 65816
 
nunes013's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Che Castro View Post
we will have to wait till next year or beyond for a new hardware update?

has apple ever held any media events after September like in the past
they did a back to the mac in october.

i personally hope the new apple tv and the 2nd gen drop the pc like iOS 5. so we can stream networked hard drives without iTunes. apple seemed to be all about pc free in iOS 5 and apple tv runs a variation on it.

but anyway i think if there is no announcement this fall then something might be geared toward that actual apple tv in early 2012. i believe however every apple tv has been debuted at the iPod event. i expect really only the addition of the A5 and maybe a ram and internal storage boost. this will allow full 1080p content streaming.
__________________
15" 2012 Retina MacBook Pro, 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i7, 8 GB Ram, 256 GB SSD; iPhone 6+
nunes013 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2011, 12:01 AM   #3
krburrell
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
I can't wait for full 1080p.
krburrell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2011, 02:52 AM   #4
Omne666
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by krburrell View Post
I can't wait for full 1080p.
They don't need a new ATV for this...just a firmware patch. The ATV2 can already downcode (?) 1080 movies to 720. As I've just finished replacing all my ATV1s to 2s, I really am hoping for a firmware solution for 1080, not a unit replacement solution.
__________________
One of everything. Don't forget the fries.
Omne666 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2011, 06:24 AM   #5
georgee2face
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
I think if we keep hearing about the Apple Televisions that the only revisions we'll see will be firmware until they drop it period. The Apple Television is the next logical progression: Built in ATV2, able to net connect, bypass itunes, stream rental, pick up Nas and stream as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunes013 View Post
they did a back to the mac in october.

i personally hope the new apple tv and the 2nd gen drop the pc like iOS 5. so we can stream networked hard drives without iTunes. apple seemed to be all about pc free in iOS 5 and apple tv runs a variation on it.

but anyway i think if there is no announcement this fall then something might be geared toward that actual apple tv in early 2012. i believe however every apple tv has been debuted at the iPod event. i expect really only the addition of the A5 and maybe a ram and internal storage boost. this will allow full 1080p content streaming.
georgee2face is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2011, 08:42 AM   #6
Omne666
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
That'd work for except for the fact I don 't like the idea of being tied to a specific TV. Samsung at the moment, sharp in another room, panasonic in another, LG elsewhere. I'd rather the black box.

Perfectly honest...a TV standard for slotting in adaptors like the old PCs...standard slot, slip in the ATV, whole new interface. Want googletv...slip it in, another interface. The TV supplies the network, power, etc, the slot allows you to choose who's style you go for.

Let the TV manufactures devise a universal standard slot, let the content distributors (Apple Google etc etc) build to it. And actually, this would fit right in with S.Jobs statement about having to take the TV back to basics to get it right this time. Fully flexible. Hell, even the memory needed could be built into the TV itself.
__________________
One of everything. Don't forget the fries.
Omne666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2011, 11:03 AM   #7
Che Castro
Thread Starter
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: May 2009
Unless apple will offer a 60" 1080p tv for $800 im not interested

I really hope theres s new atv3 this year
Che Castro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2011, 11:06 AM   #8
Che Castro
Thread Starter
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunes013 View Post

but anyway i think if there is no announcement this fall then something might be geared toward that actual apple tv in early 2012. i believe however every apple tv has been debuted at the iPod event. i expect really only the addition of the A5 and maybe a ram and internal storage boost. this will allow full 1080p content streaming.
Thats good enough for me, 1080p & the A5 chip

Its a shame letting my big screen tv go to waste with just 720p apple tv
Che Castro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2011, 11:29 AM   #9
potatis
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omne666 View Post
They don't need a new ATV for this...just a firmware patch. The ATV2 can already downcode (?) 1080 movies to 720. As I've just finished replacing all my ATV1s to 2s, I really am hoping for a firmware solution for 1080, not a unit replacement solution.

Do you reencode, select the TV2 setting in Handbrake, then just change the resolution to 1920x1080 at 5000kbps?
potatis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2011, 06:59 PM   #10
o0jelly0o
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

My only question is, how are you going to stream full 1080p video, because in order for the picture quality to look very good the bit rates are going to be in the 20-30Mb range. This bit rate is too high to stream over my network anyway, as the video skips etc. So I really don't know how this would work at great quality for the average user, but if someone can explain to me how to stream bit rates this high over your network efficiently please do.
o0jelly0o is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2011, 07:26 PM   #11
nunes013
macrumors 65816
 
nunes013's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgee2face View Post
I think if we keep hearing about the Apple Televisions that the only revisions we'll see will be firmware until they drop it period. The Apple Television is the next logical progression: Built in ATV2, able to net connect, bypass itunes, stream rental, pick up Nas and stream as well.
thats a good point. especially if the firmware allows for 1080p. that will keep everyone satisfied because there is not much more you could add.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che Castro View Post
Thats good enough for me, 1080p & the A5 chip

Its a shame letting my big screen tv go to waste with just 720p apple tv
i was hoping a firmware upgrade for 1080p but yes the new A5 with 1080p would be great.
__________________
15" 2012 Retina MacBook Pro, 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i7, 8 GB Ram, 256 GB SSD; iPhone 6+
nunes013 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2011, 11:34 PM   #12
Che Castro
Thread Starter
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: May 2009
I dont believe a firmware update can make the current apple tv run full 1080p

Im talking about 20gb mkv movies

It has the same power as the iPhone 4
Che Castro is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone 6: September Announcement, Launch or Both? preyan iPhone 9 May 7, 2014 09:40 PM
Weekly photo contest (19th September to 26th September) - Time MacRy Digital Photography 21 Sep 28, 2013 03:30 PM
September 20th-September 24th iPhone 5 Orders (AT&T) mac.fanatic iPhone 3 Oct 16, 2012 11:00 AM
Weekly Photo Contest - September 9th - September 16th (Theme: Numbers) emtrey Digital Photography 18 Sep 18, 2012 12:22 AM
iPhone 5 and iPad Mini to be Announced on September 12th with iPhone 5 Release September 21st MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 214 Aug 29, 2012 08:16 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:23 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps