Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aryleen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2011
I'm running an iMac PPC G4 with OS X.5.8. This computer has never had a problem recognising the Iomega External Harddrive before until now. The system profiler detects an 'Unknown Device' on the FireWire Bus, but the logo for the External Harddrive doesn't appear on the Desktop.
  • I've unplugged the FireWire and plugged it back in -
  • I've restarted the computer a couple of times under different circumstances (harddrive connected, unconnected, disconnect computer from power source before restarting, etc.) -
  • I've restarted the harddrive a couple of times (under different circumstances as well) -
  • finally I've reset the PRAM -
but none of this has worked. The harddrive seems to be working fine, quietly humming along like always, with the light on (the transformer's light is also on). I don't know what else to do.
Please help! Thank you!

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Have you tried a different firewire cable or mounting the drive on a second Mac?

If it doesn't work with both of the above, the electronics in the drive enclosure have probably malfunctioned...not uncommon. The drive can still get power but that's about it.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Have you launched disk utility and checked if it lists the drive there and if you can view/verify/repair it?

Aryleen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2011
Thanks Brian - I'll try mounting it on my other Mac. If the drive really doesn't work anymore, can I somehow get all the data back? Really important stuff on that drive...

Thanks Mike - yea, Disk Utility doesn't show the harddrive, so I can't select it for repair

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
Thanks Brian - I'll try mounting it on my other Mac. If the drive really doesn't work anymore, can I somehow get all the data back? Really important stuff on that drive...

Thanks Mike - yea, Disk Utility doesn't show the harddrive, so I can't select it for repair
Your Iomege drive is just an internal HDD (3.5" probably) inside an enclosure with an IDE/SATA <-> USB/FW bridge. It could be that bridge that's failing rather than the drive (if the drive were failing it would most likely show up but refuse to mount). In which case you could just throw it in a new enclosure.

I'd suggest opening it, identifying the connection on the hard drive, then putting the drive in a new enclosure (relevant to the connector on the HDD).

Aryleen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2011
Tried to mount it on a different Mac. No joy. Guess the problem lies within the external harddrive, not with my Mac. I don't dare opening the case myself, looks like I have to call in the experts to fix it..., damn. Thanks for your suggestions!

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Tried to mount it on a different Mac. No joy. Guess the problem lies within the external harddrive, not with my Mac. I don't dare opening the case myself, looks like I have to call in the experts to fix it..., damn. Thanks for your suggestions!

I ripped one apart recently to get the drive out. Drive was fine and I put it in a new USB housing found on Newegg.com for around $20.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.