Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Goldenarmz97

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2011
I was told this by an Apple employee yesterday at one of their retail stores. I'm sure she was giving me the run-around but just want to be sure.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
yep. No matter what the fault is afterwards Apple will say warranty void even though the crack screen has no issue with crack screen.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
not to many company's cover cracked screens unless you buy accidental. Apple will replace it though for $200 US that's still a good deal.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
I was told this by an Apple employee yesterday at one of their retail stores. I'm sure she was giving me the run-around but just want to be sure.
The warranty does not cover accidental damage so any obligation of Apple to replace it...also goes out the window.

What other problem are you having that might qualify for a warranty repair if you had not damaged the iPhone?

You might try another Apple store or even the same store with a different "Genius", the policy enforcement varies. Some stores will allow you one free swap for your "accidental damage" and some Genius techs are very strict since as a reminder just jailbreaking your iPhone voids the warranty!

Dave

Goldenarmz97

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2011
I have been having problems with the proximity center which was the reason I had scheduled an appointment. I cracked my screen on the way to the store, smh.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
I have been having problems with the proximity center which was the reason I had scheduled an appointment. I cracked my screen on the way to the store, smh.

Ouch, tough luck. But every genius acts differently. Some are very generous and they'll find a reason to swap out your iPhone. Others won't. It's a luck of the draw.

Votekinky06

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2011
I'm sure in their eyes the faulty proximity sensor could have been caused by the impact that cracked the screen.

dialed1

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2008
Utah
I know someone that said they got a replacement for cracked screen free, don't ask me how maybe just being super nice? How old is phone?

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
I know someone that said they got a replacement for cracked screen free, don't ask me how maybe just being super nice? How old is phone?

Someone on here said the same thing recently.
They said the phone showed one long crack instead of the lots-of-little-cracks shatter-effect.
This, the genius said, was evidence of a flaw in the glass and worthy of replacement.
True or not, that was their story.

827freddy

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I went in today with a crack screen on my iPhone and the guy replaced it for free, but I also had a problem with the phone button. The guy told me the warranty was voided because of the crack and he said he will meet me half way so I could purchase another one but in the end I got for free

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.