Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phirstube

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
Ohio
When Lion boots up it lists the users on my account with the icons associated with each user (except for my administrator account). For security reasons I would only like it to list a username and password text box. I thought you could change this in your user preferences but I cannot find it. Any suggestions?

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
When Lion boots up it lists the users on my account with the icons associated with each user (except for my administrator account). For security reasons I would only like it to list a username and password text box. I thought you could change this in your user preferences but I cannot find it. Any suggestions?

Go to System preferences, Users and Groups, and select Login Options..

phirstube

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
Ohio
Which option is it? Is it the Show Input Menu in Login Window? I currently have Display Login Window as Name and Password set. But the first time you boot up Lion it still lists the users and user icons. I dont want the OS to ever list my users on startup. How is that preventable?

Lokheed

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
Uhhh, wouldn't it be Display login window as:

List of users
Name and password

???

I imagine list of users (that's the one I have checked) would default to the latter if there was only one user (the scenario for me).

phirstube

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
Ohio
That works for everything but the initial startup screen Lok. I dont want Lion to list any users when I startup.

Lokheed

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
I don't think you can if you have multiple accounts. I tested the name and password option and it shows a field for username and pass, but you'd have to enter these in every time you login.

If there is more than one account (guest not included), then you'll see a list. I remember enabling root and then promptly disabling it because I didn't want to see both accounts back in SL...

Looks like it's the same behaviour in Lion.

phirstube

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
Ohio
Alright so I un encrypted my drive and it works as expected now. So with filevault 2 enabled it will list all your accounts on startup....

Luman

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2010
This is the same behavior a co-worker and I found.. If, under Snow Leopard, you didn't encrypt your home directory with FileVault and now under Lion you are using FileVault 2, then that means your whole drive is encrypted. More info about FileVault 2 & legacy FileVault here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4790

So if your whole drive is encrypted, EFI ignores the setting you've selected in the Users & Groups preference pane. It's really annoying and yes, ironic, given that with the user account picture displayed you already have half of an account's info.

I hope this is a bug.

prograham

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2006
New York
Bumping old thread... just wondering if anyone has heard anything about Mountain Lion addressing this? Because it's now almost a year later and regular Lion still has this odd behavior of listing all user accounts on logon screen if the drive is encrypted. Seriously, wtf.

MacBotDude

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2009
I have Mountain Lion and it shows the list of users on boot. I'm using filevault and have two accounts (admin and standard).

Login options set to automatic login off, display login window as name and password.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.