Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yousifabdullah

Cancelled
Jul 19, 2011
I assume you're using smcFanControl or similar to keep the idle temperatures lower. The fans will at some point stop spinning anyway, and keeping them running a slight bit faster at all times will surely shorten their lifespan a little. How much in real terms? I don't know, probably not long enough for the rest of your MacBook Pro to keep up (read: you likely have a new computer by then).

But it is not needed to bump the fans up a notch anyway. The SMC controller should take care of that on its own. The only benefit is that your MacBook Pro will run a bit cooler, making it more comfortable to use on your lap. If that's your intended use however, put something under your MacBook Pro like a small pillow and you'll barely notice the heat anymore. And you'll have a quieter computer to work with.

Let me know if there's anything else!
~Yousif

2hvy4grvty

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
Be careful with the pillow idea. Especially if it ends up clogging the vents, you'll end up overheating the machine.

Put it on a hard surface, a book on your lap if you must, not a pillow/blanket.

Reactions: hobowankenobi

yousifabdullah

Cancelled
Jul 19, 2011
Be careful with the pillow idea. Especially if it ends up clogging the vents, you'll end up overheating the machine.

Put it on a hard surface, a book on your lap if you must, not a pillow/blanket.

I did say to try a small pillow. The only vents are next to the hinge, so it's unlikely that you will block them with a small pillow, it'd have to be a large pillow allowing the MacBook Pro to sink into it. That I didn't recommend.

A book will do just as well, but I personally find a small pillow to be a lot more comfortable.

2hvy4grvty

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
You mean a doll size pillow? Let's just say if my pillow were the size of my MBP, I'd wake up every day with neck pain.

So emphasis on small if you want to go that route.

DWBurke811

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
If the fans needed to run a 4k rpm, they would. You don't need to install something, Apple took care of it.

I did have smc fan control installed so I could keep track of my temps vs. Fan speed, but ditched it because istat(whichever the $20 one is) already does. It actually offers every function of fan control, including different profiles for different owed sources.

Reactions: scaredpoet

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
those fans can run from 2000-6000 rpm. So, that's well within its range. It will prob decrease the lifespan of the fan, but the lifespan of the fan is probably so long that it will outlast the computer either way.

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
Macs Fan Control is free, lets you control fans & temps ,and works on the bootcamp side too, which is huge.

Like it more than SMC Fan Control, especially if one needs to slow a fan down that is running too fast due to a sensor issue. Obviously you must be very careful with this.

Install it and do nothing to the configuration, and you are simply monitoring temps and speed, like lots of other software tools can do.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Is it going to affect their durability or anything?

I don't know much about computers and I was curious to know the answer.
You're shortening their lifespan, movings parts that move wear out.

You're also bypassing Apple's default settings which do just fine on their own. You don't need to control fans, the machine will keep itself cool enough to operate smoothly on its own. Apple engineers know their stuff better than you or me do.

Let your machine take care of itself.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
I'm not sure why everyone is trying to answer the OP's question from 4 years ago and they have not been logged in to the forum in 2 years.

Reactions: Queen6

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
I'm not sure why everyone is trying to answer the OP's question from 4 years ago and they have not been logged in to the forum in 2 years.
I guess it's because when you see a thread up top, you don't automatically assume someone necro bumped it out of the grave.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
I guess it's because when you see a thread up top, you don't automatically assume someone necro bumped it out of the grave.
I hear you. I have been caught by these necro threads myself, so now I try to look at the date of the original poster, but I still miss them until someone points out the dates.

zombiecakes

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2012
and I bet his fans are still running like new since good quality fans last pretty much forever at any speed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.