Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Aug 20, 2011, 06:57 PM   #1
AnonMac50
macrumors 65816

Display problem with Power Mac

Hi, I have a Power Mac 9600, I want to connect an LCD display to. I have gotten a cable (VGA to DB-15) and it connects. However, I can't use my Phillips display or Samsung display unless I boot with my Multi Scan 15 plugged in, them switch to one of the other displays. They Multi Scan can get a res of 1024x768 on OS 9 (9.1 and 9.2.2 tested), but 832x624 on my Quadra and on OS X on the same computer (OS X DP4, OS X DP3, OS X Server 1.2v3 tested). Both my Phillips and Samsung give me that resolution (832x624), while both support up to 1024x768. My Dell display seemed to be fine, but I only tested that once, and it was stretched (the Graphics card doesn't support Widescreen it seems). Anyway, with my Phillips or Samsung, if I restart after it booted and thinks it's using a Multi Scan 15, the displays either say no video input or unsupported video mode. I don't know what to do. I don't want to use the Multi Scan 15, but it seems I have no choice.

AnonMac50
AnonMac50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2011, 07:29 PM   #2
AnonMac50
macrumors 65816

UPDATE:
I booted it with the Phillips connected and then switched to the Dell. Apparently it sees the Phillips as a Two Page Display, and doesn't let me get any res other than 1152x870. This isn't good. I will try the Samsung next.

UPDATE 2:
Same with the Samsung display. Now what?

Last edited by AnonMac50; Aug 20, 2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 04:51 AM   #3
yamu
macrumors newbie

I remember using "MultiResolutions" control panel strip for using unsupported resultions. It was freeware and you should find it with a search for "MultiResolutions control panel" pretty easy ....

It doesen`t work with an unsupported videocard (e.g. GeForce fx 5200) only unsupported displays if the card is supported by OS.
yamu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2011, 09:25 AM   #4
AnonMac50
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamu View Post
I remember using "MultiResolutions" control panel strip for using unsupported resultions. It was freeware and you should find it with a search for "MultiResolutions control panel" pretty easy ....

It doesen`t work with an unsupported videocard (e.g. GeForce fx 5200) only unsupported displays if the card is supported by OS.
I can't find it except on cnet and that loads me onto a broken page.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 09:33 AM   #5
yamu
macrumors newbie

http://www.falconfly.de/tools.htm

Old 3 dfx tools page
under mac os tools at the bottom
yamu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2011, 12:23 PM   #6
AnonMac50
macrumors 65816

Thanks, I'll try it as soon as I install another 2 drives in my Power Mac (I already have 2 in there, it's getting cramped).

AnonMac50
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:50 PM   #7
AnonMac50
macrumors 65816

Thanks, but that sort of worked, a bit. Oh well.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 07:00 PM   #8
ThunderSnake
macrumors 6502

There was something that you could do to get more display options without any third party extensions. I forget. Maybe hold down the option key while selecting the monitors control panel? I'm almost certain that it had something to do with the option key (while using the control panel).
ThunderSnake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2011, 11:00 AM   #9
AnonMac50
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderSnake View Post
There was something that you could do to get more display options without any third party extensions. I forget. Maybe hold down the option key while selecting the monitors control panel? I'm almost certain that it had something to do with the option key (while using the control panel).
Thanks, but I have literarily no time these days for anything (not even on weekends). I will try as soon as I get a break.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs