Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Lion will not let me install on either of my 2 firewire/USB 2 HDs, only the internal drive is available, the 2 Firewire drives are shown, with a message saying this drive cannot be used as a bootup drive. :eek:
I do not wnat to install Lion on the internal drive yet, too much going on now work-wise, and from what I have seen here, Lion may not be mission ready.
Any way to get the install to accept the external drives? They are GUID/HFS+ so there should be no issue there.
I have tried starting up from a DVD (slowwwww to boot) and also booted from both the SL internal drive and one of the firewire drives (only 1 connected). Result is always the same, OS can be installed on the internal drive - not the external. But of course I quit as I don't want Lion on the internal drive.
Stumped!:confused::apple::confused:

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
I don't have any personal experience with this, but...

Sounds like you have the Lion installer on a bootable DVD, what if you used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the DVD to your external hard drive and then booted from the external (with the Lion installer on it). I would think that it would want to install on the drive it booted from and this case that would be the external hard drive.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Lion will not let me install on either of my 2 firewire/USB 2 HDs, only the internal drive is available, the 2 Firewire drives are shown, with a message saying this drive cannot be used as a bootup drive. :eek:
I do not wnat to install Lion on the internal drive yet, too much going on now work-wise, and from what I have seen here, Lion may not be mission ready.
Any way to get the install to accept the external drives? They are GUID/HFS+ so there should be no issue there.
I have tried starting up from a DVD (slowwwww to boot) and also booted from both the SL internal drive and one of the firewire drives (only 1 connected). Result is always the same, OS can be installed on the internal drive - not the external. But of course I quit as I don't want Lion on the internal drive.
Stumped!:confused::apple::confused:

Did you use Lion to format the external hard drives? I have heard that if you don't use Lion to format the drives then Lion may not let you install on the hard drives.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Did you use Lion to format the external hard drives? I have heard that if you don't use Lion to format the drives then Lion may not let you install on the hard drives.
Bingo! :D
That worked, now transferring data from the internal drive, will take a while, but it looks like the install will be OK.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.