Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aislepathlight

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
CLE
The title says it all basically. I would love to set up a new Time Capsule as both a place for Time Machine backups as well as a music and photo server. I guess I would like to just have those shared with the regular network and not the guest network.

This isn't my set up, so I just want to double check with what I want to do. I guess I'd use disk utility to partition the Capsule, set up a portion for music, and then another portion for backups (Its a 3TB model, so probably 1 for music and 2 for backups). I'm not really sure how to set up the permissions though, so I guess I need your help! I guess I would like to set it up such that all of the computers in the house would be able to write to it at the beginning, but then after it is all set up, just use the iMac that is adjacent to the Capsule to keep the music collection in order.

BTW, the reason I want to run it out of the Time Capsule is because the other computers that are in the house have hard drives less than 150GBs, which is just not enough for photos and music.

Thanks all!

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
The Time Capsule doesn't have any music or photo server capabilities. Essentially your iMac is the server and would have to be on for the other computers to stream music.

Is that OK?

B

aislepathlight

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
CLE
Yeah, thats fine too. Two questions: Is it possible to use the TC as NAS? And would you mind explaining the advantages of using the iMac as a server rather than using NAS?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
TC is a NAS, but unlike most NAS third-party devices out there it does not do anything beyond server filed over SMB (for Windows and Mac) and AFP (for Mac).

This is why I was saying that you need the iMac to be on to stream from the Time Capsule to other devices. While the music files may be on the TIme Capsule, the iTunes database (library) is on the iMac ...

Most third-party NAS devices include music streaming to iTunes without a computer and also include UPnP/DLNA for devices like the PS3 or XBOX 360.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.