Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:46 AM   #1
GregBe
macrumors newbie

ATV Netflix picture quality vs Roku

Help me out here. I am wondering if I am doing something wrong. I just picked up an ATV 2, and have a Roku XD (previous generation, not the Roku2). My display is a 110 720P front projector. Everything is connected via HDMI through my receiver. My primary use is Netflix

I really like the Apple TVs Netflix interface, and like 5.1 when I can get it. I really want to like this, but I am getting a much better picture quality through the Roku, which makes no sense to me. The ATV is almost blurry in comparison. Has anyone else noticed this? What could I be doing wrong?
GregBe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:53 AM   #2
Mr. McMac
macrumors 68020

I watch my ATV2 on a 61" Samsung DLP. I find the picture is quite sharp with HD material. My biggest complaint is choppy camera panning I get on some videos. It's not the same as camera blur, it's almost like a low refresh rate, but only when panning. Everything else is fine

I'm connected using Verizon Fios's 25/25 service and ethernet
Old Aug 22, 2011, 12:04 PM   #3
Lumpy05
macrumors member

Are you connecting the ATV2 via wifi or ethernet? Mine struggled on wifi to get a good data rate so the picture quality downgraded, all fixed by connecting via wired to the network.

Otherwise I wouldnt know, my ATV2 is razor sharp especially on HD material.
Lumpy05 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2011, 12:38 PM   #4
GregBe
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy05 View Post
Are you connecting the ATV2 via wifi or ethernet? Mine struggled on wifi to get a good data rate so the picture quality downgraded, all fixed by connecting via wired to the network.

Otherwise I wouldnt know, my ATV2 is razor sharp especially on HD material.
Interesting...this is what I was thinking it might be. I am connected via wifi, but my wifi signal is really strong. The ATV is within inches of where my Roku is. The Roku, when connecting, shows an indicator with 4 dots and HD being the highest. The ATV signal is a picture quality similar to what the Roku looks like when it is downgraded from 4 dots and HD to 4 dots. I am wondering if the Roku has a better wifi adapter built in.
GregBe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2011, 01:47 PM   #5
Lumpy05
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBe View Post
Interesting...this is what I was thinking it might be. I am connected via wifi, but my wifi signal is really strong. The ATV is within inches of where my Roku is. The Roku, when connecting, shows an indicator with 4 dots and HD being the highest. The ATV signal is a picture quality similar to what the Roku looks like when it is downgraded from 4 dots and HD to 4 dots. I am wondering if the Roku has a better wifi adapter built in.

My experience is that in general wifi connections for media streaming stink, they can work "most" of the time and still be frustratingly bad. Wired connections are solid all of the time. My ATV seemed to have a solid wifi signal but would downgrade the picture quality often enough that I bought a small switch to add wired ports so I could hard wire it, never looked back it has been solid and faster ever since.

I'm not a RF engineer but its possible for wifi devices to conflict over frequencies/channels you might try powering off/removing the Roku and see if that improves the wifi to the apple tv??
Lumpy05 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2011, 03:16 PM   #6
Cheffy Dave
macrumors 68020

Had the same issue

Went away when I went with eithernet connection!
I have both the ATV, as well as an updated ROKU, both wired, I rent from both Apple and Amazon, like the way ATV syncs music,photos and files from our laptops, also like to watch TWIT TV on the ROKU

Last edited by Cheffy Dave; Aug 22, 2011 at 03:23 PM.
Cheffy Dave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:46 AM   #7
cdavis11
macrumors regular

I run 2 sets of each on 2 TVs - roku xd and aTV2 downstairs wireless and an older Roku HD XR upstairs and another aTV2, this one wired.

As for PQ, I prefer the aTV PQ for netflix as well as the interface.

I use the Roku as a backup and for Hulu Plus.
cdavis11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2011, 03:31 PM   #8
GregBe
macrumors newbie

Interesting, I must be doing something wrong then. I REALLY want to like the ATV, as the Netflix interface is much better. I also really like the HD trailers it provides. I might have to play with this some more and see if I can get a better picture. The only variable left is the wireless connection. I am not sure what to do about this, but maybe the Roku has a better wifi unit built in.
GregBe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2011, 05:38 PM   #9
thebignewt
macrumors regular

Try disconnecting the Roku and just running the ATV by itself, as suggested above.
thebignewt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 07:26 AM   #10
DustinT
macrumors 68000

I'm not sure about the Roku, since I don't own one. But, you know the ATV is a 720p device, right? That will make a pretty big difference when you blow the image up that large on a projector.

My townhouse could pass for a well stocked Apple store.
DustinT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 07:46 AM   #11
Bearxor
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinT View Post
I'm not sure about the Roku, since I don't own one. But, you know the ATV is a 720p device, right? That will make a pretty big difference when you blow the image up that large on a projector.
He notes his projector is 720p, so there should be no difference in PQ.

I have a 1080p projector on a 100" screen and I can still make out individual pixels from 15ft. . Can't imagine 110" on 720p.
Bearxor is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater