Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ehoez

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2007
20110209-11552733--img4171.jpg

I just got the touchpad this weekend, and i totally forgot that my ipad wont do FLASH, yet this $99 touchpad WILL do flash...

do other ipad users still want flash? or did we just forget all about it, and gave up the fight for it?

matbook101

macrumors 6502

I just got the touchpad this weekend, and i totally forgot that my ipad wont do FLASH, yet this $99 touchpad WILL do flash...

do other ipad users still want flash? or did we just forget all about it, and gave up the fight for it?

Why do you even want to take pictures on a tablet? And either way i'm pretty sure the touchpad only has a front facing camera. Plus it's $99 dollars because they need to get rid of it because nobody wants to pay $499 for it.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Why do you even want to take pictures on a tablet? And either way i'm pretty sure the touchpad only has a front facing camera. Plus it's $99 dollars because they need to get rid of it because nobody wants to pay $499 for it.

I think he meant flash as in videos not in smile for the camera. Maybe you were joking....
Anyway, here's what I want: either flash on iphone/ipads or web sites switch to html5 or whatever its called that works on i-devices. I don't care which, I would just like to watch the daily show and other flash-based videos....

fanboy05

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2011
I still want flash on the ipad, but I dont use it very often so it really isnt a big deal...

mystik610

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
iPad can handle most flash content if you use the right browser (puffin, iswifter, etc). Beyond that, you can always unlock the iPad and download frash.

That being said, I've owned a couple android devices that are natively able to handle flash out of the box, and I can see why Apple is apprehensive about flash on iOS. Flash is a resource hog, is buggy, and usually does not operate properly on a touch screen device. Same goes for Flash on iOS through puffin, skyfire, iswifter etc etc.

I'd like flash to be natively handled through iOS SMOOTHLY one day. Not sure if that will ever happen though. It might be more worthwhile to wait for HTML5 to become the new standard.

I don't find myself needing flash on the iPad too often though....many websites that utilize flash on the desktop versions of their site, will use HTML 5 or whatever else to enable all of the features needed in the mobile versions of their sites. Beyond that, many web based videos and functions are available in the App store. What iOS misses by not having native flash handling capability, it more than makes up for with what's available in the App store.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Flash doesn't matter to me but it does affect many people still.

one thing that kept me from buying my mom an iPad was lack of flash for those religious sites she goes to. I just tried those sites on the touchpad and they work perfect so, unless I can find more touch pads, I may have to give mine to mom.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010

Nah, if I'm that desperate to view Flash content, I'll use my MBP. I can't remember the last time that happened, though.

There are other things I'd rather use the $99 for.

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010

The fight for it? What? Who is 'fighting' for Flash on the iPad? You mean posting stuff Apple never reads nor cares about when it comes to wanting Flash on the iPad?

ruvil

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2010
No. Certainly not. I almost never stumble upon a page that has 100% flash anymore, so I'm not affected by this very much. Sure, adverts and such uses flash but i just see it as a built in adblock.

And for youtube videos and such - the iPad can play them anyways.

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
it's not absolutely necessary, but I think it would be nice to have. There's plenty of free Flash games, most internet video is in Flash, and in general many websites still use it for navigation or graphics.

Now, hypothetically, if Apple allowed Adobe to make a Flash player for iOS, I think I would end up keeping Flash in "on-demand" mode (Android Flash player has this), whereby you have to select the Flash content in order for it to load. I have an iPad 1 (well my girlfriend has it right now), and I think the A4 processor and 256 MB of RAM would choke on Flash ads and what-not, so it'd be such a bad idea to load all Flash content automatically. I don't want Flash running all the time and choking up the CPU, but for the occasion when I find Flash content that I want to see, I would like to have that option.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Haven't missed Flash in the least personally

A lot of people say stuff like that and I don't get it. Do you never go to sites that have flash? If so, how do you know which do until you get there and then what? You don't care about the stuff you can't see? I hate it when I go to a site and click on a video and it says that it won't work on my iphone/ipad. Not the worst thing in the world and doesn't happen a lot, but it does happen.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
A lot of people say stuff like that and I don't get it. Do you never go to sites that have flash? If so, how do you know which do until you get there and then what? You don't care about the stuff you can't see? I hate it when I go to a site and click on a video and it says that it won't work on my iphone/ipad. Not the worst thing in the world and doesn't happen a lot, but it does happen.

Apparently I don't frequent sites where flash is necessary. The only time in recent memory that I did was my company's pension plan website - they went with a new secure sign-in method and apparently it is flash based (rather funny, when all I hear about flash is that it doesn't have strong security). So, I just used my computer the next time I wanted to check it.

The last flash video I tried to play worked fine in Skyfire.

Last edited:

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
Flash is nice on my MBP when I want the battery to run down fast supporting background animations on hidden tabs.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
He meant Flash as in the majority of the internet and not just video.

the majority? lol. not anymore, thankfully.

Haven't missed Flash in the least personally

me neither, i've used my iPhone since the first one came out and iPad since that came out and only came across 1 site i needed flash, it was a video on a site my brother sent me a link too, i watched it via skyfire.

otherwise only time i have seen problems with flash has been crappy annoying adverts

sumone

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2011
Eh, i'm good so far. Not many of the sites I visit use flash. So, I don't even notice it's missing.

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
I would like the option to enable flash on the iPad. Let ME decide whether I want to trade battery life for flash, whether I can tolerate less than smooth performance, etc. This is really the only thing about the iPad that I find annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.