Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Images ok? You could do a screen shot, but if you have tons of messages you are trying to save, that gets a little cumbersome.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Definitely PhoneView (or TouchCopy on Windows). It's a brilliant program for backing up all kinds of things from your phone in a more easily accessible way than iTunes allows for.

MasterTick

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
I never get why people are so desperate to save SMS conversations.

I used to be like that until I was forced to do a clean restore, then I realized I didn't care lol

msb3079

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
collingswood. nj

I used to be like that until I was forced to do a clean restore, then I realized I didn't care lol

I can only speak for myself... but there is a specific, several-day long (several-hundred) text message conversation with my ex-gf I'd like to save (complicated reasons)...

msb3079

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
collingswood. nj
Careful what you say then. :)

Haha... oh much worse has been said on twitter and she has easy access to that. Sociopath does not mean violent. The biggest aspect is the inability to feel guilt/remorse... well really feel much at all. Most is an act for personal gain. I've learned a lot and oddly find it interesting now. But anyway.. sorry to go off-topic!

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010

For a lot of things, I agree. But I have long conversations from a couple of friends that I do save, and the ones between my husband and myself. I don't tend to be the sentimental type usually, but it's nice to have them on the computer so that if the phone goes sideways or *horrors* I switch away from Apple, I won't lose them completely. I've seen other people save them for legal reasons (see sociopath issue above) or because the other person has passed away. It's worth at least knowing the option is out there to save them.

Punker

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2009
Here is what i did. I didnt write this myself, but found it and saved it because it worked for me. You have to work from your backup files (saved by iTunes)

EDIT: I misread and thought you wanted to import them again in another Iphone or a restored one. I'll leve it here anyway, could be useful for others.

----

Here is a repost of what I did to copy text messages on a clean install:
(note: this was for going from 3.1.3 on a 3GS to 4.0 on an iPhone 4, so I don't know if it would be the same on older phones or firmwares)

1. Sync the phone you want to copy text messages from
2. Go to the folder with your backups
3. sort the folders by date modified to find the one containing your the backup you just made (this step is only necessary if you have multiple backup folders, such as if you've synced more than one phone on that computer)
4. Make a copy of the backup folder in case anything gets ****ed up
5. copy the following files from that backup folder to a new folder
-status.plist
-manifest.mdbx
-manifest.mbdb
-manifest.plist
-info.plist
-3d0d7e5fb2ce288813306e4d4636395e047a3d28
6. Set up the phone you want to transfer texts to as a new phone
7. make a new backup after it is set up
8. go to the folder with the new backup created in step 7, delete everything in it leaving an empty folder
9. Copy the 6 files listed in step 5 to the empty folder from step 8
10. right click the phone in iTunes and restore to backup
11. You should have a fresh phone, set up new but with all of your texts saved

It might give an error message when the restore finishes, but don't panic; take a look at your text messages and they should be there.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area

I used to be like that too. I never thought there was a reason to keep them. But recently my girlfriend moved to Germany and I found myself going back though our endless thread of conversations (I know, sappy and whatnot). Although we still keep in touch through other online forms of communication, SMS just feels more personal. Now I understand the want people may have for keeping them.

lauraconnelly

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2012
I use the decipher text message program to save my messages to my pc. http://www.deciphertools.com My husband uses it at his law firm and seems to also like it. A couple of lawyers in his office have to document their sms stuff so they archive things each month.

xcbx

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2012

Well my friend died last week and I would like to save some of the conversations we had over the last year.

I don't get why when people ask for help, we get useless posts like yours belittling things. Thanks!

MasterTick

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
Well my friend died last week and I would like to save some of the conversations we had over the last year.

I don't get why when people ask for help, we get useless posts like yours belittling things. Thanks!

I'm not belittling, just stating why I don't think it's necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

i actually hate the fact that when i restore they are all backed up via the cloud!

Djs621

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008

Girlfriends say the darnedest things. Sometimes it's nice to reflect.. All I'm sayin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.