Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:31 AM   #76
ET iPhone Home
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Good View Post
I highly recommend Slysoft's DVD backup products -- but it's Windows only, so you'd need Bootcamp or Parallels or a Windows machine.
Are you the same Sounds Good over at the NotebookReview Sony forum a few years back? I use to post there, but rarely now that I switched to a Mac.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:21 AM   #77
brandoncent
macrumors newbie

(1) If you're talking about commercial, copyright-protected DVDs, you should be aware

that it is illegal in many counties, possibly including yours.

(2) If you're talking about commercial, copy-protected DVDs, you should be aware that

providing advice on breaking copy protection schemes is illegal in the US, where this forum

is based; posting such advice would break the forum's ToU, and hosting such advice would

make Apple liable to prosecution.
brandoncent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:50 AM   #78
Evansda889
macrumors newbie

Hi Mr. William. you're very knowledgable and I'm in need of some advice. There's a file I have thats 1.6 GB, with an extension of AC3.5.1.xvid in .avi. I used Handbrake, with AT3 settings to convert to mp4. It converts the file to m4v (its choice I guess) but then the file shrinks to 726 MB and the picture isn't as clear. Any tweaks I need to put in in order to sustain the quality of the avi file?
Evansda889 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:05 AM   #79
Chand
macrumors newbie

What are you talking about Handbrake works just fine under Mountain Lion. I currently have it installed and have used it successfully multiple times.
Chand is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:19 AM   #80
JohnnyComeLatly
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melstate View Post
Also, look at Handbrake for OS X
Good Luck
Related question: Anyone ever had different file sizes based on the computer? Meaning, I have a Mac Mini with newest Handbrake, and MBA. On the MBA, I can take an AVI around 700mb and it rips in little time to a similar file around 700Mb size, with the compatibility set to iPad. When I have (what appears to me) the same setting of "iPad" for compatibility on the Mini, it takes 2-3 times longer and the file output for the mp4 is 1.3Gb. I just rip it on the MBA now, but it doesn't make sense.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 01:38 AM   #81
Safa
Banned

I just purchased a Macbook Pro and want to rip DVD's. I want to retain the 5.1 audio tracks. What is the best program for this?
Safa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:56 AM   #82
temna
macrumors 6502

I use Handbrake all the time with Mountain Lion.. I rip DVDs to use with Plex. I just rip them using the Universal setting. Movies come out around 1.7gb but at least the quality is there. Crashes occasionally, but I think it's because I'm ripping them on a 2008 aluminum MacBook 2.0 (not Pro) with 8gb ram shoved in it. I don't really think 8gb is truly supported, but I'm too lazy to go back to 4gb right now.
temna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 12:01 AM   #83
Gres
macrumors newbie

I am having this problem as well. I tried deleting the preferences; however, that didn't fix it.

I have set up a workflow in automator to extract a video from an archival DVD. However, the program is only ripping ONE file when there should be 4-5 files on there. Any ideas? I am running this process on Mountain Lion.
Gres is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 04:21 AM   #84
SSsean
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitirma View Post
Only use DVDs you produced yourself and you have legal rights to. The best ripper depend on what you plan to do with the content. Handbrake suffers from the limitations of being only H.264 based and therefore it can't convert to higher quality codecs.
Only use DVDs you produced yourself and you have legal rights to. The best ripper depend on what you plan to do with the content. Handbrake suffers from the limitations of being only H.264 based and therefore it can't convert to higher quality codecs. If you only want to transfer a DVD you made on to an iDVD, Handbrake is okay for that. However, if you want to import your DVD into iMovie, Final Cut Pro, consider a ripper that support the Apple Intermediate Codec or ProRes.
SSsean is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2013, 10:07 PM   #85
blakek
macrumors member

DVDfab has never let me down. ever.
blakek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 01:56 AM   #86
Miat
macrumors regular

RipIt has handled everything I have thrown at it.
Miat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 07:07 AM   #87
wolfpuppies3
macrumors 6502

Handbrake. Why argue with success?
Old May 31, 2013, 10:47 AM   #88
Decuthse
macrumors newbie

Here are a lot of choice for free Mac dvd ripper All of them are full version and without watermark, such as Handbrake, Mactheripper.
Decuthse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013, 11:24 AM   #89
old-wiz
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandoncent View Post
(1)

is based; posting such advice would break the forum's ToU, and hosting such advice would

make Apple liable to prosecution.
Apple does not host this forum.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air