Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BurntWaffle88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
Hey guys,

So I recently bought an AEBS 2nd gen and it's taken me a while to get it set up and working but it works fine now on my iMac, my MacBook and my housemates MacBook Pro.

But still I have a problem, my housemate who's running Windows XP on a desktop PC says she cannot connect to the network. It shows up but it doesn't even ask her for a password, it says the network could be out of range.

Now this is an AEBS, I tried it on my iMac upstairs (router and housemate downstairs) and I loaded a 1080p video on YouTube in no time.

So it says it's compatible with PC but doesn't show up. I told her to restart it but that didn't help.

I asked my other housemate who lives next door to her and he is also using a PC running the same set up, Windows XP and he can connect but the signal is lower than usual, it's usually 56% but now he says has gone down to 36%.

Just tried to change it to 2.4GHz (because I heard the range is better) but neither of them can even connect. So I put it back to the first option. So at least one of them could connect.

Personally I think it could be something to do with the radio mode but I'm not sure which is why I'm asking you guys.

Right now I've got the old router D-Link back in but it's pretty rubbish, I keep getting timed out on my iMac hence the reason I bought the AEBS. Yet both housemates can connect to that router fine.

I've posted on here for the past few days and a lot of users have really helped me with my problems so a big thanks to them and I'm sorry for constantly posting new threads, I just keep encountering new problems!

But I feel like I'm almost there, the AEBS works on the Mac's now I just need to get it to wirelessly work on the PC's.

So network shows up on one PC (desktop) but she can't connect and my other housemate can connect but gets low signal and he's on a laptop. Any ideas guys?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks.

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
i don't think this is it but do you have the airport set to send an N signal and the desktop only supports up to G speeds. Change under the settings to N (G,B,A compatible). I had my network like this and my friend could see it but not connect.

BurntWaffle88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
I don't think it's that.

I tried to change the settings but they were already set on that.

I have Windows on my MacBook so I thought I'd try and connect to it on that and I did without any problems and in terms of speed it's fantastic. It is running Windows 7 and my housemates are running XP though.

It's very strange. I'll have to have a look for myself as I haven't yet looked at their PC's.

Any more suggestions or ideas as to why it wouldn't connect to one and why the speed was poor on another?

Thanks.

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
I don't think it's that.

I tried to change the settings but they were already set on that.

I have Windows on my MacBook so I thought I'd try and connect to it on that and I did without any problems and in terms of speed it's fantastic. It is running Windows 7 and my housemates are running XP though.

It's very strange. I'll have to have a look for myself as I haven't yet looked at their PC's.

Any more suggestions or ideas as to why it wouldn't connect to one and why the speed was poor on another?

Thanks.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/362972/

i found this thread. it was from a while ago but try to do those things that made it work for them.

EDIT: it looks like XP doesn't do WPA2 security without a patch from Microsoft so if thats what your settings are you would need to change them. try that first then go to the thread if it doesn't work.

BurntWaffle88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
Hey,

Thank you for your help. I changed it to WPA/WPA2 Personal and it worked!

Furthermore I held down the option key whilst I clicked on the radio mode which gave me a lot more options to choose from. I've currently got it on 802.11g which seems to be the best, haven't tested all of them, but for now it's good. My whole house can connect which is good, but in terms of performance and signal, we'll see how it goes.

The only problem I have now is low signal issues. Not me personally, but my housemates.

It's still a little slow (however that's not the AEBS, that's my ISP and the BB package we chose).

But for me personally I'm not getting low signal or any connection timeout errors which is great. I have a full signal and it's great!

Could be an old internet myth but do more people on one network slow it down at all?

Any ideas in terms of low signal? And how to boost the signal for my PC users (who are closer to the AEBS than I am).

Thanks.

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
Hey,

Thank you for your help. I changed it to WPA/WPA2 Personal and it worked!

Furthermore I held down the option key whilst I clicked on the radio mode which gave me a lot more options to choose from. I've currently got it on 802.11g which seems to be the best, haven't tested all of them, but for now it's good. My whole house can connect which is good, but in terms of performance and signal, we'll see how it goes.

The only problem I have now is low signal issues. Not me personally, but my housemates.

It's still a little slow (however that's not the AEBS, that's my ISP and the BB package we chose).

But for me personally I'm not getting low signal or any connection timeout errors which is great. I have a full signal and it's great!

Could be an old internet myth but do more people on one network slow it down at all?

Any ideas in terms of low signal? And how to boost the signal for my PC users (who are closer to the AEBS than I am).

Thanks.

i don't know if its a myth but at college in my dorm with my airport we get 60 mbps down. when there was 3 of video chatting with our gf's and someone was playing xbox it really lagged in the video and xbox live. once though we were off it was a lot better. if you only get so much bandwidth say 20 mbps and there are 5 people doing different things that all takes from the speed so it will be slower. as far as low signal. depends on the types of walls, any phones, microwaves or other wireless devices near by can cause it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.