Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Techcrunch reports that at least one developer has found evidence that Apple is testing the iPhone 5 against current App Store apps. The logs seem to confirm that the iPhone 5 (running iOS 5) will be a dual-mode device supporting both GSM and CDMA in one phone.
The logs show that the app has been briefly tested by a handful of people using what is almost certainly an iPhone 5, evidently running iOS 5, sporting two distinct sets of mobile network codes (MNC) / mobile country codes (MCC). Those codes can be used to uniquely identify mobile carriers.

Sure enough, some registrations for the app - which the developer also asked not to be named - were logged from a new Apple device, using the MNC/MCC codes from both Verizon and AT&T.
Apple presently produces two different models to support both Verizon and AT&T. It's long been believed that the iPhone 5 will support both standards in a single device.

160542-verizon_iphone_mdm6600_500.jpg

Qualcomm's "world-mode" MDM6600 wireless chip found in CDMA iPhone 4 and iPad 2
(Source: iFixit's Verizon iPhone teardown)
Apple's Verizon iPhone 4 already contains the expected Qualcomm chipset that supports both standards. Verizon CFO has even publicly stated their belief that the next iPhone will be a "global device".

Article Link: Dual-Mode iPhone 5 Shows Up in App Developer Logs

Last edited by a moderator:

oiuh151

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
As exciting as this is, I can't help but ask something: Why no love for T-Mobile? (or Sprint for those people wanting a Sprint iPhone).
Sprint runs on CDMA(same as Verizon) and T-Mobile runs on GSM(same as AT&T) so this dual-mode iPhone could very well run on both of those networks if that's what you were asking.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
But will it be sold unlocked on day one in the US?

I'd guess so. It would be pretty silly if the phone was locked to AT&T and Verizon (since its CDMA) respectively.
I wonder if Apple choses not to unlock iPhone, or is it an AT&T thing?

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I'm not surprised it will be a dual-mode phone.

By standardizing on a single design, Apple saves a LOT of money since you only need to get RF certification once.

bb426

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
California
This isn't much of a surprise. I for one didn't expect to see Apple continue to manufacture two of the same device for two different carriers. It only makes sense.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007

Jest3r

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
If you are expecting LTE in the upcoming iPhone, you are setting yourself up for an upset.

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
No LTE, I'm not getting a new iPhone, and that will upset Apple more than me.

Also supporting dual mode has nothing to do with having LTE. They didn't say what chip is used in the phone, just that the phone has the capability. I think anything that supports LTE-as its an LTE device that can fall back on any network.

But dual-mode is great for me, as I tend to travel.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
If true, does this mean that when I travel to Japan, I could rent a sim card and just pop it in?

AIP5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
Wait sorry guys, not an app developer here:

I'm not sure I understand what the article states: Is it saying that the Apple engineers playing with iPhone 5 downloaded/registered an app, and that app developer figured out that they were registering from a new iPhone that supports different standards?

I didn't know that app developers had a way of finding out all this info about who downloads or registers their apps! (not insinuating anything... saving that for Google! ;)) :eek:

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
I'm not sure I understand what the article states: Is it saying that the Apple engineers playing with iPhone 5 downloaded/registered an app, and that app developer figured out that they were registering from a new iPhone that supports different standards?
Yes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.