Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/23/graft-concepts-fancy-leverage-iphone-case-is-probably-fancier-t/

http://www.graftconcepts.com/

Leverage_black_matte_6.jpg

Looks good, no?

UPDATE 1:

Reports are coming in from some buyers that their cases have a number of defects and issues, including; the latch scratching the iPhone's antenna band, the white version suffering discolouration/staining, and both black and white version's soft touch coating flaking/chipping off. Graft seem to have acknowledged some of these issues and say they are working on a fix. Hopefully they can sort this out soon. See page 15 of this thread onwards for more info.

Also http://www.facebook.com/graftconcepts

UPDATE 2:

Graft seem to be doing their best to rectify the situation and look after their customers. See http://blog.graftconcepts.com/.

Can't wait to get one when it's sorted :)

UPDATE 3:

So I finally managed to get my hands on this case, black with matte lever. It seems that it's a updated version, which is nice as early versions suffered from a number of problems, which are well documented within this thread. So I felt it deserved a review...

As most people will realise, it's a premium bumper style case with optional back plate. Obviously the key differentiating feature is it's lever and clasp. It's a unique and clever design and it's surprising that no one else has used this kind of design before (if they have they certainly did not market it well). The reason I became interested in this case was because I wanted a smart looking hard style case which could be removed and reinstalled easily, as I have an excellent custom cycle mount that does not work with cases, plus a highly protective case I use when hiking etc. Most bumper style cases I find to be very annoying to install/remove frequently, often breaking or scratching my iPhone, or even requiring screws etc. I have tried many cases, maybe 25+, and the only case I have ever liked and constantly went back to is the Speck Pixel Skin HD, which in my mind is as close to the perfect 'daily' case as I could find.

I have to say, I think Graft nailed it. I absolutely adore this case. To my eyes, it looks stunning and is the only case i have found that does the iPhone 4/4S's design justice. The build quality is great, it feels like a premium case and is lovely to hold, with a nice soft touch finish (like the Incipio Feather). Unlike earlier versions, it's also stood up very well to being in my pocket with keys which could easily cause scratching/flaking. I have had it on for about a week and I'm seeing no flaking issues as previously reported by some customers. Like most bumper style cases it feels very fragile when off, but once it's on the case it feels completely solid and part of the phone - it's a perfect fit.

I do have a couple of issues, but nothing serious; my Shure earphone won't fit into the socket. To be fair, they have a relatively wide jack and I have ordered an adaptor to rectify this. Also a couple of charger plugs i have won't fit into the dock, Graft could have designed this a little bit better, but it's no big deal and many cases are the same. The lever/clasp works well and is nice to use, time will tell though how well it stands up to frequent use.

The design might not be to everyones taste and it wont offer the level of protection some may like. That said, I'm really pleased with it. Good on Graft for not giving up and the wait was worth it. It's not the cheapest case, although I personally think its not bad for a unique and slick case of this quality. This one's a keeper, I hope they come out with some interesting aftermarket backplates for it soon.

Last edited:

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
I really like it actually. Too bad it's too close to the IP5 for me to be buying new cases, especially at $60 a whack. Oh well. Maybe they'll do something for the 5.

rapaleeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
Wow $60 bucks for a mostly polycarbonate bumper? According to the description the only metal is the actual latch.

Looks awesome and actually better than the Element Vapor (my previous favorite bumper) to me, but that is a little high.

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Does seem like a bad time to release an iPhone 4 case, especially a premium one. But if the rumour of a cheaper iPhone 4 being sold along side the iPhone 5 is true I guess it won't be too bad for them.

Going to wait until I see the iPhone 5 because it will have to be pretty spectacular to make me upgrade midterm contract. If I'm sticking with the 4 for another year, and the reviews are good, then this will be my next case for sure :)

dndlnx

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
Cool case. I always just buy a cheapy generic one off ebay. Works for me.

But this case is really nice.

phoneXcessories

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
I really like it actually. Too bad it's too close to the IP5 for me to be buying new cases, especially at $60 a whack. Oh well. Maybe they'll do something for the 5.

Me too. I e-mailed their support asking if they are going to do something for the 5 and I got a quick reply saying that they are.

gokart mozart

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
I want a picture of the white version :/

I might consider this if anything ever happened to my Rebel. Would depend upon any reviews that I read and what they say about the level of protection. I just got my white iP4 a few months ago, so $60 doesn't seem bad before the iP5. I'm probably waiting for the sixth one anyway.

Last edited:

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
I want a picture of the white version :/

I might consider this if anything ever happened to my Rebel. Would depend upon any reviews that I read and what they say about the level of protection. I just got my white iP4 a few months ago, so $60 doesn't seem bad before the iP5. I'm probably waiting for the sixth one anyway.

I was told the white version isn't finished yet. I should have a black one any day now and I'll report back :)

McWaffles

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2010
do post a picture of it! very tempted to get it
did u guys order the chrome latch or the matte latch?

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
do post a picture of it! very tempted to get it
did u guys order the chrome latch or the matte latch?

I have no idea what was sent over. It should be here tomorrow though. (technically today)
I'm hoping for the matte though, I love anything matte.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
any updates? :D

Here's something to pump you up until the official review is up :)

Update: Review is now up.

So that's the polished / chrome version, I was hoping for matte but this is equally as brilliant looking. It's got that expensive look and feel. I'll refrain for saying more at this point and time though ;)

*watch sold separately. :p

Last edited:

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Here's something to pump you up until the official review is up :)

So that's the polished / chrome version, I was hoping for matte but this is equally as brilliant looking. It's got that expensive look and feel. I'll refrain for saying more at this point and time though ;)

*watch sold separately. :p

Photo link is broken.

gokart mozart

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
I like what I see, but I can't help but feel like I need something more protective, especially at this price point. I drop my phone a bit. Which says more about me than this case/bumper. I'm still curious about the white one, whenever they're ready to show it.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
I like what I see, but I can't help but feel like I need something more protective, especially at this price point. I drop my phone a bit. Which says more about me than this case/bumper. I'm still curious about the white one, whenever they're ready to show it.

This is definitely not the case you want if you tend to drop your phone..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.