Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Aug 23, 2011, 04:55 PM   #1
rajerthat
macrumors newbie

3 Displays to iMac (Excluding iMac Display)

Hi,

Browsed the forum, but didn't get a solid answer on what i'm looking for, so I hope someone can help!

I am looking to set up 3 displays 46" in my store front connected to my iMac. The iMac has AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 512MB Graphics. It also has 2 thunderbolt ports and one mDP.

I was thinking of buying 2 Thunderbolt to HDMI adapters and connecting them to the thunderbolt ports. Then I was going to buy a mDP to HDMI adapter and stick that in the mDP port. 3 HDMI cables to my Displays and Voila!

Do you guys think this is feasible?

Thanks for your help,
Raj
rajerthat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2011, 05:16 PM   #2
The-Pro
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajerthat View Post
Hi,

Browsed the forum, but didn't get a solid answer on what i'm looking for, so I hope someone can help!

I am looking to set up 3 displays 46" in my store front connected to my iMac. The iMac has AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 512MB Graphics. It also has 2 thunderbolt ports and one mDP.

I was thinking of buying 2 Thunderbolt to HDMI adapters and connecting them to the thunderbolt ports. Then I was going to buy a mDP to HDMI adapter and stick that in the mDP port. 3 HDMI cables to my Displays and Voila!

Do you guys think this is feasible?

Thanks for your help,
Raj
Definitely sounds good
You must be mistaken about having 2 TB and one MDP. They only have 2 TB (Thunderbolt replaced the MDP)

Check your system system report. --> About This Mac --> More Info --> System Report.
Then navigate to the Graphics/Displays section. You should see how many display connectors there are on the graphics card. I think it will show 5. On has the built in screen attached, and the other four will be free. Now, this only tells you how many screens you can technically hook up.
The only way you will be able to hook up more than 2 screen (1 per TB port) is to daisy chain them. For example the new Apple Thunderbolt Display can be daisy chained. So far I don't know of a different advice which can do this. Maybe you can search around for some kind of splitter though.
Would your graphics card support 4 screens in total? no idea sorry bro
2012 15" 2.6 i7 AG MBP, 2009 17" AG MBP, 2009 8C 2.26 MP, 2010 4c MP,2010+07 MM, 17" 2007 MBP,20" iMac G5,17" PB G4,4x30"CD,2x23" CD, G3's,G4's, 17"iMac g4,iMac G3 turquoise,macintoshes dating to 1985
The-Pro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2011, 05:21 PM   #3
Uofmtiger
macrumors 6502a

An HDMI splitter should work.
and bunch of other stuff.
Uofmtiger is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac