Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hefeglass

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 21, 2009
sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't...more often than not, it doesn't.

I have my macbook air plugged into an external monitor and using the bt mouse and kb and plugged into the wall outlet. After using the computer, the display will go to sleep ( i set the machine not to sleep when plugged in so i can share files to other computers)..

so, when i go click the mouse, sometimes the display wakes up and comes on...but most of the time, it just stays in standby mode.
Only way i can make it come on when this happens is either opening the lid of the macbook air, or turning off the monitor then turning it on and clicking the mouse button again. Its like the macbook forgot it was plugged into a monitor...
strange that it doesn't happen consistently..

anyone else have this issue, anyone have any ideas on how to fix it?

thanks for the help!

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't...more often than not, it doesn't.

I have my macbook air plugged into an external monitor and using the bt mouse and kb and plugged into the wall outlet. After using the computer, the display will go to sleep ( i set the machine not to sleep when plugged in so i can share files to other computers)..

so, when i go click the mouse, sometimes the display wakes up and comes on...but most of the time, it just stays in standby mode.
Only way i can make it come on when this happens is either opening the lid of the macbook air, or turning off the monitor then turning it on and clicking the mouse button again. Its like the macbook forgot it was plugged into a monitor...
strange that it doesn't happen consistently..

anyone else have this issue, anyone have any ideas on how to fix it?

thanks for the help!

just saw this, yes I have the same problem but my wife does not and we both have the macbook air 2011 bought a week apart except hers is the has a toshiba hard drive not the samsung hard drive.

The latest update for Thunderbolt has fixed this which seem to be where the problem was. I had an HP 2711 so it is not only on mac monitor. Nice to know it just need some code update and its all perfect now. I have not had the problem any more since yesterday no matter how many times I put it into sleep mode.

Hope this helps anyone who still has the problem.

raftr

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
Ireland
I have a different problem, my 2011 Air 13" turns on the closed laptop display alongside the external one after sleep.
I have to restart it every time I wake it up so that it would only see the external.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.