Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yaja123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
Im soo frustrated at the moment. Heres the deal.

Firstly, can i say that ive done a few searches i couldnt find any suitable responses.

I just brought a Powerbook G4. Ive connected to my wireless broadband connection. OK, i have NO problem connecting and using/surfing - all of this perfect. BUT i do get loads of interference.. signal deteriorating, dropping...but not on wireless router, on powerbook. the internet isnt as fast as it should be because if this... pages hang sometimes. this doesnt happen at the back of the house.

Heres the scenario at the moment.

Im my bedroom there are two other wireless networks from neighbours that show up/interfere with my signal. When i goto my brothers room at the back of the house they dont show....or are so weak they dont interfere.

..using KisMAC and the traffic graph i can see that the connection is VERY 'choppy' ie. every second the signal drops and then re-appears. Then sometimes the signal is 'solid', with only slight fluactuation - as it should be.

So far ive tried the following...

1, moved the netgear DG824M wirless router from my brothers room to my room. back of house to front of house. i still get interference even though the router is 1m away from my powerbook. moved just so i can isolate the problem. will move it back to bro's room or stairway (central to house) later.

2, moved all radio signal devices from my room. still get interefence.

3, i was thinking of buying an apple base station and express but with my current router in my room and still not getting perfect signal i doubt it would work. just be throwing money away.

4, using iStumbler i can see from the logs that im getting 5.5 to 11.5 noise interference.....

im pretty sure its these other two networks are the main problem but with the router in my room and still experiencing some deterioration i need someone experienced to help me.

not sure if ive explained well enough but i please help me resolve this....

pretty please.... im wasting so much time on this.

its saturday night and interference is at its worst, so it must be neighbours switching on there networks.

is this enough info to get a repsonse?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.