Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neko92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2011
I'm recently divorced and have an itunes account with my ex husband. He took the account name and password in the divorce. Can I start a new account but still get access to all the music, videos and books that I purchased from the old account?
Please help... I spent thousands of dollars on itunes in the last 10 years.

thanks

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
if he lets you have the password you can share the library. but that can be a issue if you both want to buy things.

Ecoh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2009
USA
Wow, a new aspect to divorce. Who gets custody of the iTunes account.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
I'm recently divorced and have an itunes account with my ex husband. He took the account name and password in the divorce. Can I start a new account but still get access to all the music, videos and books that I purchased from the old account?

thanks

If he was awarded the account in the judgment of divorce, nothing you can do about that. Property settlements are contractual and not easily overturned. However, if it was never discussed you could file a postjudgment motion on the basis it was an undisclosed marital asset that needs to be divided. Check with your attorney.

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
Can't you just sign in, authenticate your computer, and then transfer/download the purchases onto the computer? Once you do that, you have all the files and you can start using a new account.

(I could be wrong, but that seems like it would work)

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Can't you just sign in, authenticate your computer, and then transfer/download the purchases onto the computer? Once you do that, you have all the files and you can start using a new account.

She would need the password to do this. If he owns the account legally, he has the legal right to deny her the access and change his password.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009

nope she would not be able to sue the items if she did not stay on that account.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010

thanks

Any music you currently have (non DRM'd) can be transferred off your iPad onto your new computer using a tool such as PhoneView or TouchCopy. I believe videos and iBooks both have DRM protection on them and are more problematic--you can probably move them to the computer the same way, but to use them will require DRM removal, which is doable but illegal in most places.

In no case will you be able to transfer them to a new iTunes account. Apple doesn't allow either combining accounts or splitting them. You will be able to use iTunes to move them just as though they were burned from CDs though.

Anything not currently on iThings in your possession is likely gone forever if the divorce is final, I'm afraid. If it was still being hammered out, depending on the laws of your place of residence, you could at least demand compensation in exchange for losing access to those purchases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.