Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nilscollection

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2011
The Netherlands
Hi,

I'm having some difficulties with the person who has bought my iMac G5 yesterday. A friend of mine told her that I was selling my iMac and she was interested, so she bought it yesterday.

The ATM wasn't working properly so she could only get € 250 out of it. She said she was going to transfer the remaining € 150 to my bank account right when she got home.

But that's not the problem. I got an e-mail from her yesterday evening, and she said that she can't run the applications she wanted, because it has a PowerPC-processor instead of an Intel.

I have mentioned the PowerPC-processor three times in the advert, I even said that it was the latest iMac before the Intel-switch. During the sale I've also told her that she was going to need PowerPC-software.
The woman also told me she had an iMac G4 once, so I think she must be aware of the difference between PowerPC and Intel.

If she wants me to take back the computer, should I? And if she hasn't transferred the money to my bank account yet, what should I do?

I really need your help, because I've already made plans buying an Aluminum iMac today with the money from the G5.

Last edited:

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
its not your fault, if she cant read and inform herself , you are only the seller , but maybe thats what she has done ...informed herself
so dont wait for the remaining €150, €250 is already a great deal for a G5 considering the issues with bad caps, screen issues those G5 develop sooner or later, anything more is unrealistic , and thats possibly why she wants to get out of the deal

japasneezemonk

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2005
Nomad
Most people don't understand what the differences in internal architecture of the intel Macs means in relation to the older powerpc chips. If the buyer truly understands that they are buying outdated hardware(5+ years old) that is running outdated software(old,old OSX) and probably won't be able to find much software that runs on powerpc hardware, then no, no refund. However, if the buyer doesn't understand exactly what they are buying it's up to you and what you can live with. You can always lie but hey it's all up to you.

Nilscollection

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2011
The Netherlands
Alright, problem is solved.

It seems she wanted to run Photoshop CS5 and Aperture on the iMac. I told her Photoshop CS3 (which I installed for her already) / CS4 does the job just as good and Aperture 2 runs on PowerPC as well.

I've got my money, she's got the iMac - so I will be getting the new iMac today!

:apple::D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.