Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
For some reason when i try to quit Safari the menu item is grayed out. Apple Q does not work. Right clicking on the icon in the Dock does not work and i am not given the option to force quit.

Has anyone else had this issue, i tired resetting Safari (from the same menu that you use to quit).

DESNOS

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
I've seen that in a few apps. Probably a bug. Just force quit with command+option+escape and hope for the best.

In Utopia

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2008
I have the same problem.
Apple says it's a known issue and a fix is on the way.
Till then it's Firefox.

In Utopia

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2008
Wow, good for you.
I'll still having the same problem with the addition of one more.
If I try to delete a bookmark, I get the beach ball lockup and have to force quit.

SiriusExcelsior

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2003
Canis Major
There seems to be quite a few bugs in Safari... on the Apple discussion forums they seem to have traced the inability to quit down to the Dock icon, but that is on Lion; don't know if it applies to Snow Leo.

For me, the "Quit Safari" button is dimmed, Cmd-Q doesn't work, and there are no close X's on the tabs, even if I hover over it (I can Cmd-W it, though). I've also seen, more than once, seemingly randomly, that Safari refuses to allow me to switch to a Chinese input script; I'm forced to type it out in TextEdit then copy it over.

The Chinese input thing happened on 10.5 and 10.6 with Safari 4 and 5, the quit/close tab thing only happened in 10.6.

And Safari still takes up 1.2GB of memory after an hour or two of browsing, which it refuses to release until I quit it, forcing other apps to eat into my virtual memory. *sigh* :(

EDIT: Just found something else.. the href of a link no longer shows up in the status bar at the bottom of the window..

In Utopia

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2008
I'm running a partitioned drive so I can use some non compatible Lion apps., and I loaded them from Time Machine.
I don't have any problems running Safari on that side.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.