Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JLanders

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2011
So, I am a student in college. I have a 2009 13' MBP 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 GB RAM and NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics card. I have more than 45 GB available on my 250GB hard drive. Now to the problem. I have a 2004 version of Microsoft Office for Macs and I have downloaded the latest Open XML file converter. While trying to open a .docx i was given this message: "There is not enough memory or disk space to convert this document." Obviously I am not that short on disk space and I have every other application closed on my computer.
I did some research and found that this is not so uncommon but most answers were to download the converter while others opened as in Text Edit and saved as .doc and then opened in Word. I have tried all of this to no avail. One variable that seems to be unique to my situation is that I believe there are alternate document links and macros on the word documents I am trying to open. (I know this because I can preview the file in the finder buy pressing spacebar...view attached file).
I opened up console to check the log on what was happening and got this:

Start time: 2011-08-25 12:44:42 -0400
Converting file: /Users/bpguy25/School/Retailing/Phase One/Exercise_1A.docx
objc[1804]: Class NLAssertionHandler is implemented in both /Applications/Open XML Converter.app/Contents/SharedSupport/wordcvtr and /Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office Converter Support/Open XML for Word.framework/Versions/12/../../../MicrosoftComponentPlugin.framework/Versions/12/MicrosoftComponentPlugin. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
Conversion failed
End time: 2011-08-25 12:44:45 -0400

One other thing to note is that I am able to open other .docx documents. My next step is to try to get the creator of the document to save the file in a different format or more compatible version. If any of you can decipher what the problem is here or has had a similar problem, it would be helpful to share your thought. Thanks in advance for the help.

JLanders

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-08-25 at 1.05.38 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-08-25 at 1.05.38 PM.png
    322.2 KB · Views: 187

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
One sure way to get it to work is download openoffice (http://www.openoffice.org/) and then save it in a different format from there...or just do your editing within openoffice. Openoffice is a free office suite that can read docx files.

In some ways, it is superior to word 2004 because it is native to intel and does not have to be emulated through rosetta. On the other hand, word 2004 has a few more features and it is 100% compatible with word documents. Open office is probably about 99% compatible, so you may experience some minor formatting differences if you share files with people using microsoft office.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.