Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jewstin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2011
There is someone on craigslist selling a Brand New Sealed in Box iPhone 4 for $450. I called her and she told me that she works at Bell and she won it in an employee contest, thus she has no receipt. For me, this drew suspicions, how could I tell if it was stolen or not. I heard that if it is stolen there would be no warranty... Also I heard that she can take it back or disable it since she has the serial number...

Can anyone help me out, what precautions should I take. This is my first time buying from craigslist and I am very unfamiliar with the process.

Thank you!

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ask for the serial number and run it through apple

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
Ask her for proof that she works for Bell (I'm assuming you actually mean ATT). She should have an ID card or at the very least an email at att.com.

But, if you're not comfortable. I deal with Craigslist all the time and it is very shady. You have to be extra careful when you're the buyer.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Ask her for proof that she works for Bell (I'm assuming you actually mean ATT). She should have an ID card or at the very least an email at att.com.

But, if you're not comfortable. I deal with Craigslist all the time and it is very shady. You have to be extra careful when you're the buyer.

why do you think Bell means ATT?

Jewstin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2011
So is it true that if she has the serial number she can take it back and also if it is stolen there will be no warranty?

drummingcraig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
"Armpit of the South"
A Couple Of Thoughts...

First and foremost, as others have said: if you have any doubts/concerns/reservations...do not buy it. The price isn't that amazing to walk away from.

Second, if you decide to buy it, try to gather as much info on the girl as possible (name, email(s), description, link to the craigslist posting, etc). If it turns out to be stolen you'll have more ammo to go to the police with, and more importantly to protect yourself against charges.

Lastly, if its legit then she should have no issues whatsoever giving you the serial number to run. Although it is possible that if the phone hasn't been reported as being stolen yet it may come back clean. As to her reporting it stolen after you buy it, I am not sure why she would do that other than to be a dick. Its not going to get her the phone back, and if you register it in your name through iTunes wouldn't you take over the rights to the phone and/or controlling the "Find My iPhone" features?

Jewstin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2011
Would it be safe to buy one from a person that has receipt and is willing to give me the receipt? Dang... Because I don't want to buy from the store it is out of my budget :p

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
If you can find an ad that seems legit and you talk to the person and feel comfortable... go for it... The second you start being suspicious about an ad.. stay away, you need to trust your instincts when it comes to CL ads.

tweaks

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2008
ask for the serial number, run it, if it comes back clear your good to go. Be sure to get a receipt from the person you bought it from with her name and address. If she is willing to do that your good. Confirm with Drivers License.

Jewstin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2011
ask for the serial number, run it, if it comes back clear your good to go. Be sure to get a receipt from the person you bought it from with her name and address. If she is willing to do that your good. Confirm with Drivers License.

Thanks for the tips, I am going to be more patient and wait it out until someone with the receipt is selling the iphone 4.

Jewstin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2011
The phone was initially selling for $500, I talked to her and dropped her price to $450.

So is it true that there is no 100% safe way to buy a BNIB iPhone 4 from craigslist?

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I'd say talk to the person and make a conclusion off that. I wouldn't rule out a purchase just because they didn't have a receipt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.