Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In an article on some of the challenges facing Tim Cook as he steps into his new role as CEO at Apple, The Wall Street Journal briefly notes that Apple is in the process of developing "new technology to deliver video to televisions". The article does not elaborate on what that technology might be, but revives rumors that Apple is seeking to launch a subscription package for television content.
An immediate challenge for Mr. Cook will be to advance Apple's plans in what is expected to be a key market for growth: digital video. Apple is working on new technology to deliver video to televisions, and has been discussing whether to try to launch a subscription TV service, according to people familiar with the matter. Unlike the iPod and music, where Apple has a commanding position, the battle to rule online video remains wide open and the company faces fierce competition.
Apple has of course been pushing its AirPlay technology for streaming video from iOS devices to its Apple TV set-top box, but the report's context suggests that the technology being referred to is separate from that effort.

apple_tv_glee.jpg

Apple has been rumored to be interested in launching an Apple-branded television set, although many of the rumors appear to fall into the category of speculation and wishful thinking. Apple has been very careful about entering the television market, limiting itself primarily to select content offered the iTunes Store and hardware such as the Apple TV for streaming within the Apple ecosystem. The company has expressed concern over the difficult go-to-market strategy for any television offerings, citing the competitive, low-margin market for television sets and the balkanized content arrangements among media and cable companies.

Rumors of a potential "best of television" subscription package surfaced in late 2009, with Disney and CBS said to have been interested in signing on to the service. By the time the iPad launched in early 2010, those plans had apparently been put on hold due to a lack of interest from media companies.

Article Link: Apple Developing 'New Technology' for Delivering Video Content

jozero

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
"Apple is working on new technology to deliver video to televisions"

It's called Airplay.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
No Apple Television. No need.

What is interesting is if Apple has any chance to overcome the TV cable and satellites companies. That would be awesome. I just don't see it happening anytime soon. I would love to pay a la carte and just get the channels I want and a DVR to record it/or all show on demand. Oh boy, seems like daydreaming. :rolleyes:

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Maybe they're talking about a NAS system. So you don't have to keep your Mac running in order to access your content.

It would be sweet to have all your iTunes, iPhoto and media libraries stored in one central server in the home. You could stream to your various devices from there. I know that there are plenty of NAS solutions out there, but Apple has yet to put its characteristic spin on the concept.

willed

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2007
You can...
I do it daily. I wouldn't have even bought an apple tv if i couldn't do that.

Can I ask how? Is it a hack? I'd love to be able to screen share from my Mac to my TV without getting too involved in command-line level stuff.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Can I ask how? Is it a hack? I'd love to be able to screen share from my Mac to my TV without getting too involved in command-line level stuff.

No, it isn't a hack at all. It was built into iTunes in one of the recent updates.

In the main pane, look at the bottom right and you'll see the Airplay button.

Of course, make sure you're Mac or PC is on the same wifi network as your Apple TV, or AirPlay compatible sound system.

Another, less direct way, is to use the remote app on your iDevice to play the media on your Mac/PC...and then on your iDevice, you can use Airplay to beam it from your computer to your ATV.

reckless2k2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008

Make sure home sharing is turned on in iTunes on the Mac. Go to the apple tv and turn on home sharing as well. From this point, you can see the iTunes share on your Apple tv or you can go to the Mac and select output to apple tv similar to if you had an airport express. I have a few apple tvs and airpor expresses in my home. It works without a problem. That's the whole reason I got an apple tv. You view my Mac content from.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Make sure home sharing is turned on in iTunes on the Mac. Go to the apple tv and turn on home sharing as well. From this point, you can see the iTunes share on your Apple tv or you can go to the Mac and select output to apple tv similar to if you had an airport express. I have a few apple tvs and airpor expresses in my home. It works without a problem. That's the whole reason I got an apple tv. You view my Mac content from.

Oh right, I forgot to mention turning on home sharing too. Important bit of info there.

Nickraphael

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I wish they would just supplant the cable and sattelite companies, we need a better middle man who could give us our content. I would rather look at a small banner ad and have uninterrupted tv time than sit through commercials lol fingers crossed

sennekuyl

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
New Technology: WTF has that to do with Video?

... ugh. The new 'product line' is for 'delivering video content'? Seriously dull. Yes, Apple TV et al is dull.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
Why would Apple ever release a TV set? It's the most un Apple thing that I have ever heard. Whenever wallstreet analysts talk about it, I remember they were stupid enough to believe the MBS and CDOs that melted the world economy. TVs go on sale every other week, Apple puts their current products on sale one day a year in the US.

Apple will never release a TV set, and if they do I will eat my words and an Apple Tv Set piece by piece over a year's time.

These are the same analysts who thing the iPad 3 should come out before Christmas.

Irrational folks...

MacNewsFix

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
Twin Cities
I wish they would just supplant the cable and sattelite companies, we need a better middle man who could give us our content. I would rather look at a small banner ad and have uninterrupted tv time than sit through commercials lol fingers crossed

So would I. Unfortunately, I don't believe even Apple has that kind of scratch.

Besides that, of course, is the "HBO Window" obstacle that has nothing to do with providing the means of delivery.

sennekuyl

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
..."new technology to deliver video to televisions"...

Thunderbolt?
Obviously they (Apple and Intel <== who's baby it really is) have already released that, so it won't fall under 'new'. Maybe if LightPeak is ready. That would be interesting but an upgrade that is expected to current [newish] tech would be stretching 'new technology' a little.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.