Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrJonnyJones

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2011
UK
Hi people, apologies if this has been covered previously (I searched but couldn't see anything)...

Is there any way to install Final Cut Pro 7 on 10.5.8 running on my PowerMac G5 Quad? LOTS of forums have said "No, impossible"... BUT, there are a handful of YouTube videos showing FCP7 quite clearly running on PPC Macs on lower specs than my G5 Quad. I have contacted the video authors but they were very vague and ended up not sharing any information at all!

Any help would be much appreciated! :)

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
Hi people, apologies if this has been covered previously (I searched but couldn't see anything)...

Is there any way to install Final Cut Pro 7 on 10.5.8 running on my PowerMac G5 Quad? LOTS of forums have said "No, impossible"... BUT, there are a handful of YouTube videos showing FCP7 quite clearly running on PPC Macs on lower specs than my G5 Quad. I have contacted the video authors but they were very vague and ended up not sharing any information at all!

Any help would be much appreciated! :)

While this is possible, it is a very involved process and is ridiculously painful. From what I remember you have to open the Installer files with a Program called Pacifist, and then manually "install" Final Cut Studio. IIRC it requires a Dual 2.0 G5 or above (which you obviously have). I dont think the actual process was ever detailed in depth, and sadly I dont have my Dual 2.3Ghz G5 to hand anymore so I cant provide more detailed instructions.

rnitch

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2012
Ill show you how because nobody ever woudl show me.

First off installing through pacifist is NOT the way to go. that way may result in corrupt files, or simply missing components. It will also require you to enter your serial number every time you open up the program which would be a pain in the @$$. I wrote up a write up on reddit if you wanna read it and upvote it :D or u can simply read it below. http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/r2z3f/final_cut_pro_7_on_a_g5_or_any_apple_computer/

Anybody ever want to install Final Cut Pro 7 but you system does not meet the required specs? I can solve that problem for you Maybe you still run a G5 or your macbook laptop doesn't have enough video ram Either way it is possible to install FCP7 A warning on the side of the video ram on laptops is that it could possibly overheat so its all at your own risk as far as G5s go, ppc was originally fully supported by the app regardless of what anyone will tell you. Tell them that they are free to believe whatever they want. Ok here is how you do it:
1. First you have to get your Final cut 7 install disc, and use Application>Disc Utility to make the files writable
2. next step is to right click on your install final cut studio file, and click show original
3. Then you must right click on the FinalCutStudio.mpkg file and click show package contents
4. click the contents folder right click on FinalCutStudio.dist and open it with textedit (you could also open in Xcode but most people don't have that)
5. use command F to find the first piece of code starting with "<installation" (obviously search the code without the brackets) it should say installation = blah blah blah Just delete that one line and then save the file
6. exit out of everything and go back to you original install final cut studio file
7. Open the file and it should install on a G5 fine
You could also use this to bypass ANY kind of system requirement check that it gives you an error for.
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK- also not all features may work have fun- Mitch The End

macca1980

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2013
First off installing through pacifist is NOT the way to go. that way may result in corrupt files, or simply missing components. It will also require you to enter your serial number every time you open up the program which would be a pain in the @$$. I wrote up a write up on reddit if you wanna read it and upvote it :D or u can simply read it below. http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/r2z3f/final_cut_pro_7_on_a_g5_or_any_apple_computer/

Anybody ever want to install Final Cut Pro 7 but you system does not meet the required specs? I can solve that problem for you Maybe you still run a G5 or your macbook laptop doesn't have enough video ram Either way it is possible to install FCP7 A warning on the side of the video ram on laptops is that it could possibly overheat so its all at your own risk as far as G5s go, ppc was originally fully supported by the app regardless of what anyone will tell you. Tell them that they are free to believe whatever they want. Ok here is how you do it:
1. First you have to get your Final cut 7 install disc, and use Application>Disc Utility to make the files writable
2. next step is to right click on your install final cut studio file, and click show original
3. Then you must right click on the FinalCutStudio.mpkg file and click show package contents
4. click the contents folder right click on FinalCutStudio.dist and open it with textedit (you could also open in Xcode but most people don't have that)
5. use command F to find the first piece of code starting with "<installation" (obviously search the code without the brackets) it should say installation = blah blah blah Just delete that one line and then save the file
6. exit out of everything and go back to you original install final cut studio file
You could also use this to bypass ANY kind of system requirement check that it gives you an error for.

I cant seem to do this. How do you make files writable in disk utility?
I managed to copy the files to hard drive & edit the file mentioned, but when I run installer it says javascript error.

macca1980

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2013
I cant seem to do this. How do you make files writable in disk utility?
I managed to copy the files to hard drive & edit the file mentioned, but when I run installer it says javascript error.

Ok I managed. What part of the code specifically do you remove??

macca1980

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2013
The bloke hasn't logged in since March 2012 so don't get your hopes up mate.

I know , can't find it anywhere specifically what code you omit. It's all pretty vague. Anytime I remove what I assume they are talking about I get a javascript error.

rnitch

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2012
sorry guys just came across this now. i will try and get the FinalCutStudio.dist off my computer and upload it tonight if anyone is still interested. completely forgot about this thread

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2014
USA

Works great on powermac g5 dual 2.0ghz

Informpage

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2014
Wish someone had followed up on this but, here is the answer:

The word Installation is only used once, find that line and eliminate the script so it looks like this:

<installation-check script=''/>

that isn't " but rather two ' ' without a space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.