Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

mobileme_icloud_phishing_email.png

A number of MacRumors readers have reported today receiving a phishing email designed to look like a notice from Apple asking users to upgrade their MobileMe accounts to iCloud. The email is patterned after one sent to MobileMe members in early June just after Apple introduced iCloud at its Worldwide Developers Conference.
Dear MobileMe member,

Please sign up for iCloud and click the submit botton, you'll be able to keep your old
email address and move your mail, contacts, calendars, and bookmarks to the new service.

Your subscription will be automatically extended through July 31, 2012, at no additional charge.
After that date, MobileMe will no longer be available.

Click here to update iCLOUD

Sincerely,

The Apple store Team
Clicking on the included link to update to "iCLOUD" takes users to a page mimicking portions of Apple's page for updating account billing information, asking users to enter their credit card, address, and Apple Store account details.

Phishing emails riding on Apple's popularity are nothing new, with scammers attempting to prey on users' excitement for such products as the iPhone 5. This latest phishing email targeting MobileMe and iCloud is not a particularly sophisticated one, but it appears to be a widespread effort given the number of reports we've received about it in just the last few hours.

Article Link: New Phishing Email Targets MobileMe-iCloud Transition

iekozz

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2009
Amsterdam
These guys suck! If they want to scam people, they might as well spell check and grammar check. And why would the "Apple store Team" want with users of MobileMe?
Of course we as the ones that read tech websites are well aware of this, but you'll be suprised of how many people will fall for this.

Today, the market for phisings, scams ect is bigger than the drugs market.

jowie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
London ish
These guys suck! If they want to scam people, they might as well spell check and grammar check. And why would the "Apple store Team" want with users of MobileMe?

On first glance I'd be thinking "great - time to upgrade my account to iCloud!" but then obviously I'd look a bit harder and realise that clicking on a submit "botton" for "iCLOUD" sent by the "Apple store Team" would not be good for my health. ;)

You gotta give them credit for their brazenness... A whole screen for you to fill in your credit card details AND username and password... They're counting on people inputting a lot of personal data before they twig something's up...!

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
DEAR SIR,

URGENT AND CONFIDENTIAL BUSINESS PROPOSAL

I AM MARIAM ABACHA, WIDOW OF THE LATE NIGERIAN HEAD OF STATE, GEN. SANI ABACHA. AFTER HE DEATH OF MY HUSBAND WHO DIED MYSTERIOUSLY AS A RESULT OF CARDIAC ARREST, I WAS INFORMED BY OUR LAWYER, BELLO GAMBARI THAT, MY HUSBAND WHO AT THAT TIME WAS THE PRESIDENT OF NIGERIA, CALLED HIM AND CONDUCTED HIM ROUND HIS APARTMENT AND SHOWED HIM FOUR METAL BOXES CONTAINING MONEY ALL IN FOREIGN EXCHANGE AND HE EQUALLY MADE HIM BELIEVE THAT THOSE BOXES ARE FOR ONWARD TRANSFER TO HIS OVERSEAS COUNTERPART FOR PERSONAL INVESTMENT.

ALONG THE LINE, MY HUSBAND DIED AND SINCE THEN THE NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT HAS BEEN AFTER US, MOLESTING, POLICING AND FREEZING OUR BANK ACCOUNTS AND EVEN MY ELDEST SON RIGHT NOW IS IN DETENTION. MY FAMILY ACCOUNT IN SWITZERLAND WORTH US$22,000,000.00 AND 120,000,000.00 DUTCH MARK HAS BEEN CONFISCATED BY THE GOVERNMENT. THE GOVERNMENT IS INTERROGATING HIM (MY SON MOHAMMED) ABOUT OUR ASSET AND SOME VITAL DOCUMENTS. IT WAS IN THE COURSE OF THESE, AFTER THE BURIAL RITE AND CUSTOMS, THAT OUR LAWYER SAW YOUR NAME AND ADDRESS FROM THE PUBLICATION OF THE NIGERIAN BUSINESS PROMOTION AGENCY. THIS IS WHY I AM USING THIS OPPORTUNITY TO SOLICIT FOR YOUR CO-OPERATION AND ASSISTANCE TO HELP ME AS A VERY SINCERE RESPONSIBLE PERSON. I HAVE ALL THE TRUST IN YOU AND I KNOW THAT YOU WILL NOT SIT ON THIS MONEY.

I HAVE SUCCEEDED IN CARRYING THE FOUR METAL BOXES OUT OF THE COUNTRY, WITH THE AID OF SOME TOP GOVERNMENT OFFICIAL, WHO STILL SHOW SYMPATHY TO MY FAMILY, TO A NEIGHBOURING COUNTRY (ACCRA-GHANA) TO BE PRECISE. I PRAY YOU WOULD HELP US IN GETTING THIS MONEY TRANSFERRED OVER TO YOUR COUNTRY. EACH OF THESE METAL BOXES CONTAINS US$5,000,000.00 (FIVE MILLION UNITED STATES DOLLARS ONLY) AND TOGETHER THESE FOUR BOXES CONTAIN US20,000,000.00(TWENTY MILLION UNITED STATESDOLLARS ONLY). THIS IS ACTUALLY WHAT WE HAVE MOVED TO GHANA.

THEREFORE, I NEED AN URGENT HELP FROM YOU AS A MAN OF GOD TO HELP GET THIS MONEY IN ACCRA GHANA TO YOUR COUNTRY. THIS MONEY, AFTER GETTING TO YOUR COUNTRY, WOULD BE SHARED ACCORDING TO THE PERCENTAGE AGREED BY BOTH OF US.PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS MATTER IS STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL AS THE GOVERNMENT WHICH MY LATE HUSBAND WAS PART OF IS STILL UNDER SURVAILLANCE TO PROBE US.

YOU CAN CONTACT ME THROUGH MY FAMILY LAWYER AS INDICATED ABOVE AND ALSO TO LIAISE WITH HIM TOWARDS THE EFFECTIVE COMPLETION OF THIS TRANSACTION ON TEL/FAX N0:xxx-x-xxxxxxx AS HE HAS THE MANDATE OF THE FAMILY TO HANDLE THIS TRANSACTION.

THANKS AND BEST REGARD

MRS. MARIAM ABACHA

---------------------------------------------------------

Pretty much the same thing.

I kinda miss these, though. Some of them were hilarious.

NicoleRichie

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I got this email about a month ago. I loved that it said "click the botton".

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
DEAR SIR,

I AM MARIAM ABACHA, WIDOW OF THE LATE NIGERIAN HEAD OF STATE, GEN. SANI ABACHA. AFTER HE DEATH OF MY HUSBAND WHO DIED MYSTERIOUSLY AS A RESULT OF CARDIAC ARREST, I WAS INFORMED BY OUR LAWYER, BELLO GAMBARI THAT, MY HUSBAND WHO AT THAT TIME WAS THE PRESIDENT OF NIGERIA, CALLED HIM AND CONDUCTED HIM ROUND HIS APARTMENT AND SHOWED HIM FOUR METAL BOXES CONTAINING MONEY ALL IN FOREIGN EXCHANGE AND HE EQUALLY MADE HIM BELIEVE THAT THOSE BOXES ARE FOR ONWARD TRANSFER TO HIS OVERSEAS COUNTERPART FOR PERSONAL INVESTMENT.

ALONG THE LINE, MY HUSBAND DIED AND SINCE THEN THE NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT HAS BEEN AFTER US, MOLESTING, POLICING AND FREEZING OUR BANK ACCOUNTS AND EVEN MY ELDEST SON RIGHT NOW IS IN DETENTION. MY FAMILY ACCOUNT IN SWITZERLAND WORTH US$22,000,000.00 AND 120,000,000.00 DUTCH MARK HAS BEEN CONFISCATED BY THE GOVERNMENT. THE GOVERNMENT IS INTERROGATING HIM (MY SON MOHAMMED) ABOUT OUR ASSET AND SOME VITAL DOCUMENTS. IT WAS IN THE COURSE OF THESE, AFTER THE BURIAL RITE AND CUSTOMS, THAT OUR LAWYER SAW YOUR NAME AND ADDRESS FROM THE PUBLICATION OF THE NIGERIAN BUSINESS PROMOTION AGENCY. THIS IS WHY I AM USING THIS OPPORTUNITY TO SOLICIT FOR YOUR CO-OPERATION AND ASSISTANCE TO HELP ME AS A VERY SINCERE RESPONSIBLE PERSON. I HAVE ALL THE TRUST IN YOU AND I KNOW THAT YOU WILL NOT SIT ON THIS MONEY.

I HAVE SUCCEEDED IN CARRYING THE FOUR METAL BOXES OUT OF THE COUNTRY, WITH THE AID OF SOME TOP GOVERNMENT OFFICIAL, WHO STILL SHOW SYMPATHY TO MY FAMILY, TO A NEIGHBOURING COUNTRY (ACCRA-GHANA) TO BE PRECISE. I PRAY YOU WOULD HELP US IN GETTING THIS MONEY TRANSFERRED OVER TO YOUR COUNTRY. EACH OF THESE METAL BOXES CONTAINS US$5,000,000.00 (FIVE MILLION UNITED STATES DOLLARS ONLY) AND TOGETHER THESE FOUR BOXES CONTAIN US20,000,000.00(TWENTY MILLION UNITED STATESDOLLARS ONLY). THIS IS ACTUALLY WHAT WE HAVE MOVED TO GHANA.

THEREFORE, I NEED AN URGENT HELP FROM YOU AS A MAN OF GOD TO HELP GET THIS MONEY IN ACCRA GHANA TO YOUR COUNTRY. THIS MONEY, AFTER GETTING TO YOUR COUNTRY, WOULD BE SHARED ACCORDING TO THE PERCENTAGE AGREED BY BOTH OF US.PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS MATTER IS STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL AS THE GOVERNMENT WHICH MY LATE HUSBAND WAS PART OF IS STILL UNDER SURVAILLANCE TO PROBE US.

YOU CAN CONTACT ME THROUGH MY FAMILY LAWYER AS INDICATED ABOVE AND ALSO TO LIAISE WITH HIM TOWARDS THE EFFECTIVE COMPLETION OF THIS TRANSACTION ON TEL/FAX N0:xxx-x-xxxxxxx AS HE HAS THE MANDATE OF THE FAMILY TO HANDLE THIS TRANSACTION.

THANKS AND BEST REGARD

MRS. MARIAM ABACHA

---------------------------------------------------------

Pretty much the same thing.

That's milk- out- of- the- nose hysterical. :D :D

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
That's milk- out- of- the- nose hysterical. :D :D

Yeah, the idea of cash being safe in Ghana is a laugh riot. I have an antique British brass farthing in my desk drawer and as I said "Ghana", it began moving to the East because of the mysterious force there that makes wallets disappear.

pewra

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011

Miss them? Thanks to Mt.Gox, and having some of my addresses listed in WHOIS, I get upwards of 30 of these a day. Gmail handles them of course, but it's still ridiculous.

Screen_Shot_2011-08-27_at_1.58.42_AM.png

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
DEAR SIR,

I AM MARIAM ABACHA, WIDOW OF THE LATE NIGERIAN HEAD OF STATE, GEN. SANI ABACHA. AFTER HE DEATH OF MY HUSBAND WHO DIED MYSTERIOUSLY ...

I actually responded to this, and it turned out to be legit-- I got a 10% agent fee, to the tune of $2M! Unfortunately, I then invested the $2M in Enron stock (or was it "Entron" stock-can't recall).

;)

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Miss them? Thanks to Mt.Gox, and having some of my addresses listed in WHOIS, I get upwards of 30 of these a day. Gmail handles them of course, but it's still ridiculous.

Hmm . . . the one by this "Capt. Patrick Hammer" looks especially interesting.

He didn't by any chance ask you to join a crack commando unit that was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit, who promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground, did he?

pewra

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
He didn't by any chance ask you to join a crack commando unit that was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit, who promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground, did he?

Almost!

With Due Respect,

Sincerely speaking, I want to let you know that I have been on course and based on this fact, I would like to establish a relationship, which will yield dividends in due.Before I continue, let me introduce myself to you, I am Capt.Patrick Hammer in charge of Multinational Division with the US troops in Baghdad, fighting war against terrorism. Effectively, the United States legislative and executive decision for withdrawing troops from Iraq, i have to put in my deployment and go into business world in your country.

I have now in my possession the sum of Four Million Five Hundred Thousand Dollars(USD$4.5M) which was recovered from one of our raids on terrorists camps here in Iraq, because they keep most of their money at home for evil activities which they normally get through illegal deals on crude oil.

Based on the suffering we undergo here some of us do meet such luck. It happened that in our last raid last week we raided one of the terrorist strong base here in Iraq and we recovered this huge sum. This box of money have been deposited with the RED CROSS OFFICE here in Baghdad informing them that contacts are been made for its safe keeping and to make contacts for its proper use. As the team leader it is under my power to approve whoever comes forth for this money.

So I need someone I can deal with on trust and that is why I contacted you. So if you accept, I will put you forward as the beneficiary/owner of the funds. As military personnel I cannot parade such an amount, so I need to present someone as the beneficiary. I just need your acceptance and all is done, I have a 100% authentic means of transferring the money to you as the beneficiary.

If you are interested, then let me know so I can proceed to register your name as the beneficiary as time is very important to me. I am doing this on trust; you should understand that as trained military personnel, I will always be carefully in my dealings so everything is intact. My proposal is that after you receive the funds, It would be shared as follows, (1) 35% to you as commission for your co-operation and assistance in facilitating the transfer, while the remaining 65% belongs to me and my military colleague.

You will be free to take out your commission immediately after the money hits your country. Since my objective is to invest the money in a foreign country, it would be appreciated if you could also help me with advices and direction on investing into profitable/lucrative ventures in your country like real estate properties and stock markets for an additional 5%.

The only telephone access we have is radio message which is for our general use and is being monitored; therefore all communication will be via email till we finish our assignment here and fly straight to your country to meet you. Thank God that the new President, Barrack Obama whose keen interest is to call us back home soon.

Please do consider my proposal and get back to me if you are interested and as this will not take more than (5)Five working days to be finalized.

Regards
Capt.Patrick Hammer.
( capt.patrick.hammer@hotmail.com )

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
It happened that in our last raid last week we raided one of the terrorist strong base here in Iraq and we recovered this huge sum. This box of money have been deposited with the RED CROSS OFFICE here in Baghdad informing them that contacts are been made for its safe keeping and to make contacts for its proper use. As the team leader it is under my power to approve whoever comes forth for this money.

Achievement Unlocked!

MedalofHonor-5120-18.jpg

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
How come I never get any of this stuff?? :(

I don't even get obscene phone calls!! The only one I ever received from from some kid saying "Cocky. "Poopy" "Stinkbottom". (True!) :eek:

callme

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010
What we should all do when we get these emails is fill them in with totally ficticious details. Make up a name, address, bank / card details / username, etc. Then submit them.

Someone at the other end will either sell the information and get screwed by the buyer because it will be worthless and waste a great deal of time trying to use the invalid info as well.

If enough people responded to phishing emails in this way they would eventually stop as the info they would be getting would be worthless as they could never find the 'real' information in amongst all the rubbish.

It takes very little time for us to reply with useless rubbish, but it will take the criminals masses of time and effort to deal with it all.

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
what game is that?? is it a modern-war type of military game?? (no not call of duty, but like modern equipment/soldiers)

It's Army training video for soldiers new to Afghanistan.:rolleyes:

----------

From what I heard a listener asking today on a consumer advocate radio program, AT&T is also being spoofed.

The caller was being asked to provide ALL the important info to have her personal identity stolen. ID, password, et cetera, et cetera.

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
How come I never get any of this stuff?? :(

I don't even get obscene phone calls!! The only one I ever received from from some kid saying "Cocky. "Poopy" "Stinkbottom". (True!) :eek:
I used to get obscene phone calls during exams week only for 2 years. I just figured it was some guy blowing off steam while studying and, depending on my course load, played along.:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.