Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Apr 24, 2005, 09:07 AM   #1
Aero4
macrumors newbie

Quark 6 (upgrade on v. 5) on Mac G5

Does anyone know if I can do this.. I have Quark 5 with an upgrade disc for version 6 (that hasn't ever been installed)and I want to get rid of my PowerMac G4 and get a newer G5/laptop. Apparently the latest systems don't have OS9 so I guess I can't install the Quark v. 5 and then put the v. 6 'on top' - or can I???
Help appreciated.
Aero4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 09:18 AM   #2
wordmunger
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero4
Does anyone know if I can do this.. I have Quark 5 with an upgrade disc for version 6 (that hasn't ever been installed)and I want to get rid of my PowerMac G4 and get a newer G5/laptop. Apparently the latest systems don't have OS9 so I guess I can't install the Quark v. 5 and then put the v. 6 'on top' - or can I???
Help appreciated.

It used to be that you could install a new version of Quark and then just put in the old disk to verify that you owned it. I don't know if this is true anymore, though.

edit: do you have mac os X on your current computer? You could try moving quark to a non-public directory, then logging in as a different user and trying to install Quark 6.

Last edited by wordmunger; Apr 24, 2005 at 09:20 AM.
wordmunger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 10:53 AM   #3
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

If I remember correctly, the installation of Quark 6 only required a legitimate serial of Quark 5.

*Goes and digs out the disk*

On your upgrade sheet that came with the disk, there should be the Quark 5 (old) serial, a validation code and a new serial. You will need these 3 codes.

However, after installation you will also need to activate it by either telephoning Quark or by doing it online. Without activation, the program will cease saving, printing, collecting for output, and creating PDFs within days. Activation can only be done for 2 computers with one version of Xpress.

Important: The installer of Quark 6 will mess with the permissions of the entire directory it is installed into. Best to create a new folder on the desktop, label it Quark 6, install into there and then move the installation into Applications when it's done.
Blue Velvet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 11:34 AM   #4
RAS admin
macrumors regular

you will also need to upgrade to 6.1 to run in Panther (10.3).

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics