Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aero4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2005
Does anyone know if I can do this.. I have Quark 5 with an upgrade disc for version 6 (that hasn't ever been installed)and I want to get rid of my PowerMac G4 and get a newer G5/laptop. Apparently the latest systems don't have OS9 so I guess I can't install the Quark v. 5 and then put the v. 6 'on top' - or can I???
Help appreciated.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Aero4 said:
Does anyone know if I can do this.. I have Quark 5 with an upgrade disc for version 6 (that hasn't ever been installed)and I want to get rid of my PowerMac G4 and get a newer G5/laptop. Apparently the latest systems don't have OS9 so I guess I can't install the Quark v. 5 and then put the v. 6 'on top' - or can I???
Help appreciated.

It used to be that you could install a new version of Quark and then just put in the old disk to verify that you owned it. I don't know if this is true anymore, though.

edit: do you have mac os X on your current computer? You could try moving quark to a non-public directory, then logging in as a different user and trying to install Quark 6.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
If I remember correctly, the installation of Quark 6 only required a legitimate serial of Quark 5.

*Goes and digs out the disk*

On your upgrade sheet that came with the disk, there should be the Quark 5 (old) serial, a validation code and a new serial. You will need these 3 codes.

However, after installation you will also need to activate it by either telephoning Quark or by doing it online. Without activation, the program will cease saving, printing, collecting for output, and creating PDFs within days. Activation can only be done for 2 computers with one version of Xpress.

Important: The installer of Quark 6 will mess with the permissions of the entire directory it is installed into. Best to create a new folder on the desktop, label it Quark 6, install into there and then move the installation into Applications when it's done. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.