Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Aug 26, 2011, 01:50 PM   #1
kbutler84
macrumors regular

EyeTV HD to iMac (U-Verse TV provider) question

I currently have a slingbox, which works ok, but is not HD. I would like to upgrade to something that will allow me to stream HD to ipad/iphone, stream to Apple TV 2, plus the ability to record to my iMac so I can store shows for later (football games, etc).

Will EyeTV HD do what I want? Will I be able to view and record all my channels that I receive from U-Verse? Also, after the free year of TV Guide, is it necessary to keep for $20/year or can you get by without it?

Last edited by kbutler84; Aug 26, 2011 at 01:55 PM.
kbutler84 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2011, 01:52 PM   #2
blueroom
macrumors 603

To capture HD cable you need an HDHomeRun with cable card support. Or if you cable company allows for QAM you might get a handful of SD channels.
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2011, 02:11 PM   #3
kbutler84
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroom View Post
To capture HD cable you need an HDHomeRun with cable card support. Or if you cable company allows for QAM you might get a handful of SD channels.
Maybe I'm confused, but why can't I use the EyeTV HD instead of the HDHomeRun? And my U-Verse box doesn't support cablecard.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 01:02 PM   #4
mike457
macrumors 6502

The EyeTV HD will take the output from your cable box/satellite dish if there is a component output. It needs to be connected directly via USB to a Mac. I haven't really played around with live streaming on mine. I know it does not stream to the Apple TV; you have to convert the files to do that. It does stream wirelessly to the iPad and the iPhone, but I don't think it does it live. Again, you have to convert the file.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 01:58 PM   #5
kbutler84
macrumors regular

Yeah, I finally realized that what I'm looking for would be a combination of the EyeTV HD and the HDHomeRun. I want to be able to access the encrypted HD channels that I'm subscribed to through U-Verse (which EyeTV HD allows) and stream it to my iMac (which HDHomeRun does). However, as far as I can tell, there isn't a product that does this.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater