Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kirkhartstudios

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2011
Hi all, I'm a student in college and I've had my Macbook Pro since 2006. It currently is at version 10.5.8 and I've got a wonderful work flow going with Spaces when I edit videos, DeeJay events, design websites, etc. The computer is still going VERY strong so I have no other reason to buy a new one except for the fact that video rendering is getting quit slow and my computer cannot handle the 1080p HD video files I work with.

At my nearby college Apple store I can buy a brand new MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz/i7/4GB Ram/750GB hard drive/Glossy Screen with Snow Leopard at 10.6.8. They have not yet received new laptops with lion preinstalled. So this is my last chance to get a computer without lion and preserve my workflow. Should I go for it?

I've used Lion. It's great. I hate mission control though. And some of my programs are not ready for it yet. I'm also not sure on Adobe Creative Suite CS5. Thing is, I know a better MBP is coming out next year. So I don't know if this is a waste of my time and money when I could wait and get a newer, faster computer (gasp maybe without a DVD drive). Suggestions? Remember, this will be my computer for the next 4 years. Thanks!

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
For me, the deciding factor would be how much video work you are doing. If it is costing you $$ and you *need* it, justify the cost and buy it. If it's just not as fast as you would *want* I would wait for the revision.

kirkhartstudios

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2011
If it is costing you $$ and you *need* it, justify the cost and buy it. If it's just not as fast as you would *want* I would wait for the revision.

I'm working on a documentary now and will be doing another in Spring 2012. Everything is fine because all the footage is 1280x720 and the computer can handle it (very slow renders though). So honestly I don't *need* the new computer yet. It's a *want*. I *want* to have a faster computer. My heart definitely says wait for the new and better option but then I know I will have to totally convert to Lion. The only other issue is with my new Canon 60D everything I shoot now is 1080p and the only way I can edit it is through another computer.

Last edited:

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
I'm working on a documentary now and will be doing another in Spring 2012. Everything is fine because all the footage is 1280x720 and the computer can handle it (very slow renders though). So honestly I don't *need* the new computer yet. It's a *want*. I *want* to have a faster computer. My heart definitely says wait for the new and better option but then I know I will have to totally convert to Lion. The only other issue is with my new Canon 60D everything I shoot now is 1080p and the only way I can edit it is through another computer.

Dude I have a Canon 550D and I can honestly say 1080p is sick but is a b**** to deal with on anything less than my 2010 MBP 13" which still lags behind what I would like. Trust me it may seam like a little speed boost when you first start working on a faster computer but you'll quickly realize that your getting videos put together allot faster!

kirkhartstudios

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2011
Dude I have a Canon 550D and I can honestly say 1080p is sick but is a b**** to deal with

I know! I shoot all 1080p now but I can't edit it now on my laptop! I always have to down convert the footage to 1280x720 and then edit. So I know I can definitely make use of this upgrade, I'm just not sure if I should wait until next February or so for another release. At this point in time I don't have a Lion "workflow" yet that I'm comfortable with on my friends iMac so that's why I like the idea of still getting a laptop with Snow Leopard so I can continue to work the way have have for the last 4 years.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
Is not having Lion the hang-up here? If you buy a new MBP right now you can upgrade to Lion for free: http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/

If the hang-up is that there's a new MBP coming out next year, well, that'll always be the case.

To me it seems like you need it to do 1080 video, and I'd recommend going for it. You don't have to use mission control, and CS5 runs perfectly on Lion. I'd hope the i7 processors can handle the next four years as well as your Core (2) Duo did.

kirkhartstudios

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2011
To me it seems like you need it to do 1080 video, and I'd recommend going for it. You don't have to use mission control, and CS5 runs perfectly on Lion. I'd hope the i7 processors can handle the next four years as well as your Core (2) Duo did.

For me getting Lion is not the hangup. I don't want it at this point. These are essentially my two options with pros/cons:

Buy MBP 10.6.8 Now
  • Finally able to work with 1080p video after 4yrs wait
  • Faster processor, i7
  • Still has Snow Leopard intact with Spaces for workflow
  • Has thunderbolt, so I'm good with the new upcoming hard drives
  • I finally get the app store!
  • All my apps will still work as some aren't ready for Lion
  • I can upgrade to Lion whenever I see fit

Buy MBP Feb 2012
  • Probably faster computer
  • Possibly no disk drive
  • I must fully convert over to Lion, there is no going back
  • Since I won't be buying this in store, I can upgrade my screen to be something other than the standard glossy version
  • I won't be a student then, so no more discounts

I think it's almost beneficial to buy one now. Then I can continue working during school at my apartment and not always have to visit the labs where faster computers are available. Plus I can keep Snow Leopard! And yes, I sure hope it can last as long as 4 yrs like my old Pro. That thing is still going strong.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.