Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Radjedi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2005
I was thinking of buying a Mac Mini along with a 20" Lcd monitor. Have heard some great things about the Dell 2005FPW 20” LCD. I am yet to take a final decision

What about if I combine a 12" iBook rather than a Mac Mini along with this monitor? I can get a notebook with a desktop at the same price. I am not a high end user, so the ibook processor should suffice.

What I am more worried is can the ibook handle 20' monitor. Are there compatibilty issues involved?

Am I better off with Macmini?

Thanks!

SeRgIo_42

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2004
Some weeks ago I was in the same boat. I thought that
the ibook + external monitor would suffice my needs.
Nevertheless, beware that the resolution in this awesome
monitor will not be used by the ibook but the mac mini
will do it (even though both use the same
video card).

If you need portability, powerbook line is the way to go.
It not only can handle big monitors but also they will
be more apropriate to enjoy Tiger. Probably, sometime soon
the ibook line will get a revision to update its video cards.

What really hurts is the idea about getting a powerbook
when you can get one mini by hundreds of dollars less.

S.

Radjedi said:
I was thinking of buying a Mac Mini along with a 20" Lcd monitor. Have heard some great things about the Dell 2005FPW 20” LCD. I am yet to take a final decision

What about if I combine a 12" iBook rather than a Mac Mini along with this monitor? I can get a notebook with a desktop at the same price. I am not a high end user, so the ibook processor should suffice.

What I am more worried is can the ibook handle 20' monitor. Are there compatibilty issues involved?

Am I better off with Macmini?

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.