Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrclanet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
Hi everybody. I just recently picked up a PowerMac G5 mostly for use with FCP and After Affects CS4. I was wondering what some of you may suggest to make a bit quicker with the rendering and loading of files... Just after a quick first start up I've noticed quite a bit of lag in editing - choppy playback and what not. The machine is running OS X 10.5.8

Heres a profile of the machine:

- 4 x 2.5 GHz PowerPC G5
- 8.5 GB DDR2 SDRAM
- NVIDIA GeForce 6600

I've already started looking at graphics upgrades and hoping that the ATI RADEON X1900 G5 Mac graphics adapter, 256MB - GDDR3 SDramter will solve the playback issues.

I've also looked at installing an airport card as well as a bluetooth card, any suggestions on these will be very helpful as well.

If any other information is needed to provide other suggestions just let me know.

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
Sdd for boot drive will speed up boot time and system responsiveness quite well. nice box btw. Make sure you check your water cooling regularly. Ie remove CPU cover and inspect for leaks. Have fun they are awesome boxes, I miss mine...

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
The Nvidia Quadro FX 4500 is the fastest Vid Card that you can put in this monster. If you are expecting really blazing fast responsiveness, mac pro is the way to go.

jrclanet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
What order would you go about adding these things?

Sdd first or Vid Card first?

And what is the major performance difference between Nvidia Quadro FX 4500 and the ATI RADEON X1900? would it make much of a difference having the Nvidia when editing video?

Thanks

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
I have done the SSD boot drive first in RAID0 with two 64GB el cheapo SSD. Install all the applications on there. Bought a 1TB external drive with quad interface (USB/eSATA/FW400/FW800) which currently runs on FW800 for Time Machine Backup and Data Storage.

eSATA card is coming thru the mail so that I will have eSATA the week after next. And Finally, the Nvidia Quadro FX 4500.

But on your case, it all depends on how much you are willing to shell out. Upgrading it would end you up shelling the same amount as buying a first generation mac pro.

And by the way, if you have a generous amount of RAM that would help to speed up things. The quad Powermac can take up to 16gb of PC2-4200 DDR2 RAM.

There would be difference in video performance between the qfx 4500 and the ATI x1900. There are some links floating around the forums that you can find.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.