Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 27, 2011, 08:44 PM   #1
bloodyfrozen
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Removing Preferred Networks

Does anyone know how to remove preferred networks from the list without Administrator?

Thanks
bloodyfrozen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2011, 09:06 PM   #2
Latro
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
To make any system preferences changes you'll need administrator access.

Also, which version of OS X are you using? Are you just trying to join a different network? in Lion under Network for WiFi you can click "Network Name" and join another network.
__________________
A Mac Help Website
Latro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2011, 09:11 PM   #3
bloodyfrozen
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latro View Post
To make any system preferences changes you'll need administrator access.

Also, which version of OS X are you using? Are you just trying to join a different network? in Lion under Network for WiFi you can click "Network Name" and join another network.
I'm not sure which Mac I'm using because it's my first time using one. I'm trying to remove it so I can readd it to preferred networks because my wifi is connected, but there's no internet access (any help on this?).

Thanks
bloodyfrozen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2011, 09:13 PM   #4
blueroom
macrumors 603
 
blueroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Click on the and select "About this Mac" you'll see the OS version.
__________________
My iOS devices are not jailbroken.
Bill
My Blog
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2011, 09:15 PM   #5
bloodyfrozen
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroom View Post
Click on the and select "About this Mac" you'll see the OS version.
This is the one I have.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook-...=pd_rhf_shvl_1


Version 10.6.8
bloodyfrozen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2011, 09:36 PM   #6
hayesk
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodyfrozen View Post
Does anyone know how to remove preferred networks from the list without Administrator?

Thanks
If you have another Mac, you might be able to connect this Mac in target disk mode, and then remove the preference file where the preferred networks are stored. You'll then have to reconnect to the network when you reboot. I don't know offhand where that file is, or if it's safe to delete or modify.
hayesk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2011, 09:43 PM   #7
bloodyfrozen
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayesk View Post
If you have another Mac, you might be able to connect this Mac in target disk mode, and then remove the preference file where the preferred networks are stored. You'll then have to reconnect to the network when you reboot. I don't know offhand where that file is, or if it's safe to delete or modify.
I don't have another Mac.

I'm removing the network so I can reconnect and setup the wifi.

Only reason I'm doing this is because my house wifi does not work for internet. It's connected but no internet connection. If there's a way to fix it, I won' t need to remove network and try again. Thanks!
bloodyfrozen is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All iPads: Preferred wifi? Electcon iPad 5 Jan 20, 2013 08:10 PM
Preferred Network 93BlackSVT iOS 6 0 Jan 4, 2013 02:41 PM
Preferred networks list kaizer923 OS X 0 Dec 29, 2012 01:07 PM
Your preferred browser? Morrius iPad Apps 23 Aug 11, 2012 04:56 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC