Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Aug 28, 2011, 10:28 AM   #1
TheyCallMeSaint
macrumors regular

This is seriously freaky

So, check out this MacRumors article from 2003, in which Steve Jobs says there won't be any Apple cell phone:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=28026

And look at the very first comment....Who is this "MacQuest"? My theory is he went back in time 8 years.
TheyCallMeSaint is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2011, 10:29 AM   #2
ZBoater
macrumors 604

WOW! That is AMAZING! Ain't it funny how things turned out? PM MacQuest and ask him for some lottery numbers...
Old Aug 28, 2011, 10:33 AM   #3
imahawki
macrumors 6502a

Its also funny to see back in 2003 people sick of people and even news sites trying to predict what Apple is going to release
imahawki is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2011, 11:42 AM   #4
xraytech
macrumors 68020

Holy Cow!!!

MacQuest could possibly be the first to coin the name "iPad"
xraytech is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2011, 11:51 AM   #5
Tritons
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraytech View Post
Holy Cow!!!

MacQuest could possibly be the first to coin the name "iPad"
he should of patented it
Tritons is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2011, 11:58 AM   #6
boy-better-know
macrumors 65816

I love looking back and reading how wrong/right people were. I wonder if in 8 years someone will repost a thread about tablets wiping out laptops.
boy-better-know is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2011, 03:32 PM   #7
Piggie
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy-better-know View Post
I love looking back and reading how wrong/right people were. I wonder if in 8 years someone will repost a thread about tablets wiping out laptops.
Or do you remember those tablets that came out in 2010?
Oh yeah I remember those, whatever happened to them?
I don't know, have not seen anyone use one for years. Amazing how people back then thought there were going to replace laptops.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 04:00 PM   #8
pembs
macrumors newbie

Guess someone had a change of mind.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 09:18 AM   #9
gibbz
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to gibbz
The name iPad has been speculated as the name of an Apple PDA/Tablet dating back to 2002 or earlier.

In fact, the name iPad was first used (as far as I can tell) in 2000 as a prank.

And it was passed around in several MacRumors posts back in 2001/2002, here, here, here, here, or here.
gibbz is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2011, 09:31 AM   #10
spiderman0616
macrumors 65816

In hindsight, there is nothing else Apple would have called the iPad. iSlate never seemed like an Apple-ish name compared to iPod or iMac. And everyone made fun of it when it released, but now it's becoming more and more of a household term.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 09:33 AM   #11
iPad 3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman0616 View Post
In hindsight, there is nothing else Apple would have called the iPad. iSlate never seemed like an Apple-ish name compared to iPod or iMac. And everyone made fun of it when it released, but now it's becoming more and more of a household term.
iTablet?

They could have called it anything...

Anyway, where does "pad" come into it? It was a great guess. Bet he wishes he bought a few domain names for it!
iPad 3 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2011, 09:44 AM   #12
Nightarchaon
macrumors 65816

I think iPad was because it looks like the star trek tablets and they were calls PADDs

Nice to know Steves a Trekkie
Old Sep 16, 2011, 09:38 AM   #13
Consultant
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbz View Post
The name iPad has been speculated as the name of an Apple PDA/Tablet dating back to 2002 or earlier.

In fact, the name iPad was first used (as far as I can tell) in 2000 as a prank.

And it was passed around in several MacRumors posts back in 2001/2002, here, here, here, here, or here.
Great find.

As to others that believed someone "predicted" iPad, considering probability.

Given enough people and enough guesses, someone might guess right. However, the person's record is probably nowhere near 100% right.
Consultant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2011, 09:46 AM   #14
palpatine
macrumors 68040

can't he just edit the post? maybe next year it will contain a prediction about the ipad 3.
palpatine is offline   -6 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2011, 04:21 PM   #15
iEnvy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by palpatine View Post
can't he just edit the post? maybe next year it will contain a prediction about the ipad 3.
It clearly shows the last time you edit your post
Old Feb 9, 2012, 09:33 PM   #16
MacQuest
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to MacQuest Send a message via Yahoo to MacQuest
This weeks LOTTO NUMBERS are:

I AIN'T TELLIN'!!!
Sep 1, 2007, 12:27 AM: "You really are quite hooked on this new and great multitouch. ... So please tell me what are the benefits of the multitouch screen in iPhone[?]"
FAIL meets EPIC.
MacQuest is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2012, 09:46 PM   #17
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by pembs View Post
Guess someone had a change of mind.
Not really. In 2003 there really was no smartphone market (flip phones were just really starting to become widespread back then). So, at that point, he was really only referencing cell phones.
ugahairydawgs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2012, 09:59 PM   #18
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacQuest View Post
I AIN'T TELLIN'!!!
If anyting was ever sig worthy - that's it.

Well done, sir. (or madam)
Moyank24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2012, 10:09 PM   #19
OH!MAC™
macrumors member

Quote:

to bad Apple didn't take note back the, the iPad name is costing them a lot of money.
OH!MAC™ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2012, 10:16 PM   #20
MacQuest
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritons View Post
he should of patented it
Tell me about it!
Sep 1, 2007, 12:27 AM: "You really are quite hooked on this new and great multitouch. ... So please tell me what are the benefits of the multitouch screen in iPhone[?]"
FAIL meets EPIC.
MacQuest is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2012, 11:32 PM   #21
MacQuest
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Yes, but I said the name with certainty!

Seriously though, I didn't believe it to be a pda or even an extension of Newton. I didn't see Apple wanting to put out a highly stylus dependent device for anything other than possibly handwriting. I felt that those PDA's were too clunky, and non-streamlined for SJ's taste. He wouldn't want extra gadgets, even something as simple but easy to lose as a stylus, to be an integral part of the iPad.

Like I said in my post linked below, I saw the ipad being "...a lot more robust than a PDA while not being an inconvenient laptop."

I even almost hit the price points [from the link below]: "I would pay $599 for a slimmed down entry version and $899 for a hardware[ram, audio recording, combo drive?, etc.]/software upgraded version."

LOL @ the combo drive guess, but as also stated in the link below, I saw the iPad as being "[approx. the size of 2 DVD boxes stacked on top of eachother]". So I thought it would be twice as thick as the current iPad. Also, the DVD box sizes I was referring to are the older dvd boxes that were around 10" in height, or as I had posted numerous times on these forums back then, something that was about the size of a piece of paper (in height obviously) or a clipboard, and that you could hold and use in much the same way you would hold and use a clipboard: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...&postcount=145

Of course over 3 years had passed between my original iPad post and the one linked directly above, and because SJ had said that "everything running Mac OS (iOS hadn't been introduced yet, nor had the iPhone) would have the word Mac in the name from now on", I had changed the name to MacPad and then MacPod (LOL!) because this device would not canabilize other Apple products, but rather raise awareness of them by complimenting them. It would be another Apple product for SJ's vision of the "digital lifestyle".

Oh, the memories!

This is the most accurate and earliest (as far as I know) post that I had made using the name iPad:http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/...C/t-23590.html

For more foresight fun, clicky linky in my sig to see the epic battle thread between us here on MR and the Nokia [and other FORMER leading phone manufacturers] trolls regarding what they saw as the completely useless multi-touch input advantages of the [at that time] just released iPhone.

PEACE.
FAIL meets EPIC.

Last edited by MacQuest; Feb 9, 2012 at 11:54 PM.
MacQuest is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2012, 11:39 PM   #22
seong
macrumors 6502a

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
XD

Man, that link in your sig is just HILARIOUS!
Wow, I didn't know there were people like that back in 2007!

Anyways, MacQuest, could you please predict what we will see on iPad X? (assuming it is the 10th generation of the iPad.)
Old Feb 9, 2012, 11:56 PM   #23
MacQuest
macrumors 6502a

I predict...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seong View Post
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
XD

Man, that link in your sig is just HILARIOUS!
Wow, I didn't know there were people like that back in 2007!

Anyways, MacQuest, could you please predict what we will see on iPad X? (assuming it is the 10th generation of the iPad.)
iPad X will NOT use either fAndroid or WinBlows mobile OSssss!
FAIL meets EPIC.
MacQuest is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:22 AM   #24
seong
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
iPad X will NOT use either fAndroid or WinBlows mobile OSssss!
lol, I will print this page out, and once iPad X comes out (assuming that the world doesnt end in 2012) I'll take a pic of it, quote you, and make a thread on this forum (and again, assuming that this thread will still be alive.)

Until 2020, good luck!
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:22 AM   #25
Agent-P
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I AIN'T TELLIN'!!!
Why if it isn't the man/woman (not sure until you say lol) in question. Nice call on that. We really need you to do more predictions for us! Also, I love the link in your signature. That was winning before Charlie Sheen even thought of using the phrase.

Last edited by Agent-P; Feb 10, 2012 at 12:29 AM.
Agent-P is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad