Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Aug 28, 2011, 11:28 AM   #1
yeah
macrumors 6502a

Does the iPhone store contacts on the sim or on the phone?

I was just wondering
Old Aug 28, 2011, 11:42 AM   #2
Torresangel88
macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5302b Safari/7534.48.3)

It stores the contacts on the phone
Torresangel88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2011, 12:14 PM   #3
yeah
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torresangel88 View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5302b Safari/7534.48.3)

It stores the contacts on the phone
Thanks
Old Aug 28, 2011, 12:55 PM   #4
kilo123
macrumors newbie

If u have a gsm version, then the contacts are also backed up onto the sim card. So if u get a new iPhone and put the sim card in u can go to settings and the contacts tab u can press import contacts from sim and u will get all ur contacts on the phone right away.
kilo123 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2011, 01:00 PM   #5
aziatiklover
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilo123 View Post
If u have a gsm version, then the contacts are also backed up onto the sim card. So if u get a new iPhone and put the sim card in u can go to settings and the contacts tab u can press import contacts from sim and u will get all ur contacts on the phone right away.
Are you sure about that? I have used all iPhone since launch day and all I know is you can only import from a sim card and no the other way around! Unless you sim the jailbreak app that is in Cydia to save contacts/transfer into a sim card.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 01:10 PM   #6
Givmeabrek
macrumors Demi-God

Contacts are not backed up on the Sim card. There isn't enough room for all the info in the iPhone contacts. The iPhone can import contacts that have been put there by another phone.
Givmeabrek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2011, 06:17 PM   #7
kilo123
macrumors newbie

Ya I am sure. U should try it if u have a gsm version. I just got my iPhone replaced two weeks ago and when they gave me the new one it's was empty and all the texts
came in as numbers rather than names and they told me all I had to do was click the "import sim contacts" button and I had all my contacts, but that's it (obviously) none of the txts or anything came back.
kilo123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2011, 06:27 PM   #8
awadeee
macrumors 68020

Quote:
This is incorrect. You can only import from SIM, you cannot back up to SIM.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 06:36 PM   #9
Futhark
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by awadeee View Post
This is incorrect. You can only import from SIM, you cannot back up to SIM.
I don't think he's saying YOU can backup to sim, he's saying the iPhone also stores to the sim to allow you to import from sim.
Futhark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2011, 08:21 PM   #10
dave006
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Givmeabrek View Post
Contacts are not backed up on the Sim card. There isn't enough room for all the info in the iPhone contacts. The iPhone can import contacts that have been put there by another phone.
Correct, the iPhone has an import fuction to help you migrate any existing Contacts stored on your SIM from a non-iPhone!

Quote:
Ya I am sure. U should try it if u have a gsm version. I just got my iPhone replaced two weeks ago and when they gave me the new one it's was empty and all the texts
came in as numbers rather than names and they told me all I had to do was click the "import sim contacts" button and I had all my contacts, but that's it (obviously) none of the txts or anything came back.
You should have synced your iPhone before it was replaced. This would allow you to backup your SMS Txt messages and also sync your contacts to one of the iPhone supported Contact management tools.

Note: In your case since you already had contacts on your SIM, then yes you were able to re-import them but any that you added directly via the iPhone will not be available. The iPhone does not write Contact data to the Mini-SIM or the Micro-SIM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futhark View Post
I don't think he's saying YOU can backup to sim, he's saying the iPhone also stores to the sim to allow you to import from sim.
Again, the iPhone does not store any contact data to the SIM not as a backup or at all. The iPhone is designed to sync any contacts add to your iPhone to another contact tool on your Mac, PC, MobileMe, Google, Yahoo, Outlook, Outlook Express... or soon iCloud.

Dave
dave006 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2011, 08:26 PM   #11
msb3079
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I read this thinking "what a moron you cannot do that" haha.. I've had all iPhone and always thought that. Read your other post - and you're right - you CAN import from SIM!

Pretty sure MOST do not know this.. even Apple geniuses... because I've mentioned after a few replacements how it's a pain not having contacts until I can sync it. Each time they'd say "yeah, I agree.. wish there was a way"... most do not know this.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 12:19 AM   #12
kilo123
macrumors newbie

Ya mine even did the new contacts that I added on my old iPhone before I got it replaced.
kilo123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2011, 12:39 AM   #13
Supraking
macrumors member

No, the iPhone can only import contacts that have been written in the SIM card by other phones. But if your iPhone is jailbroken there is an app in Cydia called SIMnager that lets you write your contacts to your SIM using the iphone.
http://www.mod-gadget.com/back-up-yo...s-cydia-tweak/

And here's how to do it if you want to know:
http://www.simonblog.com/2009/03/15/...act-to-iphone/
Supraking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2011, 06:19 AM   #14
aziatiklover
macrumors 68020

Quote:
You prolly have saved your contacts somewhere else then thought the iPhone saved it for you on the sim. Cuz I just try with an empty sim card, and guess what? Nothing has been saved into the sim from my iPhone.
PS: Yes I have all GSM iPhones model

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone