Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cowinabox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2011
hi,

a while ago i installed bootcamp on my macbook pro,
the thing is, i made my windows 7 partition way to small, but i already did allot of installations on it, i really need to make this partition bigger, but after a couple hours of searching i still have the same problem.
i already made my macintosh partition smaller with my osx disk utility, but i can't extend my bootcamp partition. i can't use win clone, cause it won't work for mac osx lion. can someone help me out here pls?

Last edited:

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
The only one I found was Camptune, but they haven't updated their software for Lion. I figured this out AFTER I bought it, and all they did was offer to send me the update when it comes out.

I'm still waiting... :rolleyes:

The only other way I know how is doing a reinstall. What I haven't tried is doing a backup of the Windows partition using the built in backup software, deleting/recreating/enlarging the partition, reinstalling plain Windows (which is fairly easy), and then restore the backup, or booting off a Windows recovery CD and doing a restore. Something tells me that won't work. :(

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

cowinabox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2011
thanks for your help anyway.
i really don't want to reinstall the whole bootcamp partition again :(
i hope someone knows here what to do in our case

loox

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2011
The only one I found was Camptune, but they haven't updated their software for Lion. I figured this out AFTER I bought it, and all they did was offer to send me the update when it comes out.

I'm still waiting... :rolleyes:

So is it official that CampTune doesn't work with LION?
It makes sense since LION adds a recovery partition to the disk that CampTune must now account for... and without breaching the 3 active partition limit.
But I was just wondering if you actually tried it... and where it went sour.

That would explain why the sales rep wouldn't let me purchase it.

ScuseMe

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2009
I would've suggested iPartition use it all the time), but I see they are not 100% compatible with Lion yet.

However, Lion's not doing something illegal with partitioning; they're just adding a hidden partition for rescue. I can;t see how that would affect the boot camp partition, other than renumbering it.

steve&carl

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2011
How to Increase of Decrease the Size of Your BOOTCAMP Partition in Lion.

How to Increase of Decrease the Size of Your BOOTCAMP Partition in Lion.

If you want to increase or decrease the HD space on your Boot Camp partition of Windows, this is how you do it for Mac OS X Lion for free. Below is a an overview of the steps that need to be taken.

a. Clone (Copy) your Window's BOOTCAMP to an external Hard Drive (HD) or to your computer if you have enough space.
b. Delete the Window's partition on your computer.
c. Repartition your computer to have the new size that you want.
d. Restore your old Window's BOOTCAMP data.

In more detail, I walk through the steps here:

1. Download the free software Winclone from Roaring Apps Website (yes Winclone still works for Lion).

http://roaringapps.com/app:904

2. Now you are ready to copy your partition. Install and open Winclone. Under the Image tab, choose the Source BOOTCAMP in the drop down menu. Then click Image… Save your BOOTCAMP Clone to an external HD or your computer if you have enough space.

This will take some time so be patient (between 1-3hrs). You can see your progress percentage by pressing Command-L.

You should now see a .winclone file in your external HD that is about the same size as your BOOTCAMP HD. If you are confident that you didn't interrupt the copying process turned off your computer halfway through then you can move onto the next step.

3. To delete the partition on your computer open Disk Utility (you can search for it in Spotlight). Click the top HD on the left hand side, then click the Partition tab, and highlight the BOOTCAMP partition.

Click the minus sign and click ok.

4. Download the Free Trial of Paragon NTFS 9.5 (It is for 10 days, but you delete it after you are done)

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/download.html

This will allow you to create NTSF partitions. Before in Snow Leopard, you could get the Boot Camp Assistant app to do this for you. However in Lion the Boot Camp Assistant now does not let you partition your drive without having a Window's disk inserted. So that is why I found this workaround.

Install the Paragon application. Then go back to Disk Utility. This time click the plus button, and name your partition BOOTCAMP. Resize the partition to be the new size that you want it to be.

***IMPORTANT: Beside "Format:" choose the format NTSF. Then click apply. MS-DOS (FAT) might work too if you don't want to install Paragon but I have not tried this. I chose NTSF because that is what the first Bootcamp used.

5. After the partitioning is completed. Open back up Winclone, click the restore tab. Beside Restore Image: select the .winclone file that you backed up previously, and click restore. This should also take a while (between 1-3hrs). Then you are done!

MikeTRose

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2011
CampTune now Lion-savvy

The current version of CampTune as of November 28 2011 (10.0.17.13852) is QA'ed for use on Lion and recognizes the recovery partition for what it is.

Nemolo

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2011
hi steve&carl
after some research i tried your method to resize bootcamp partition, and it worked, but with one problem, when i start windows, it show me the "resolve issues" black and white screen, with no console but it won't go on.
i think it may have lost trace of some os file, is it possible?

AP-123

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2009
hi steve&carl
after some research i tried your method to resize bootcamp partition, and it worked, but with one problem, when i start windows, it show me the "resolve issues" black and white screen, with no console but it won't go on.
i think it may have lost trace of some os file, is it possible?

It would be great if anyone had a "fool" proof way to increase the boot camp partition. I can't take any chances with loosing hours of productivity.

kpgh554

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2011
iver england
It would be great if anyone had a "fool" proof way to increase the boot camp partition. I can't take any chances with loosing hours of productivity.

go windows make image backup on ext hd then go to mac bootcamp remove partition reset to whatever size need reload windows when asks after reformatting what to load, can either load wins then add image backup or select to load image backup when first load then not lose anything of wns either

ScottFitz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2007
For $20, CampTune worked very well and I'm running the latest Leopard 10.7.2. and Win 7 on Bootcamp. I ran the utility (which you must burn to a CD and then boot off of).

Resized my partition with the slider. Let it chug along and do it's thing. Took an hour or so overall. Rebooted into Bootcamp Win7 and got a jumbled graphic screen. I also use VM Fusion and the last time I was running BC under VM, I adjusted the graphics settings and resized the resolution a bit.

Well, after resizing and I got a bit of a scrambled screen but I was able to see enough to reset my resolution to max and managed to get Bootcamp Win7 to fire up and then rebooted it up to make sure. No problems. Booted up Mac OSX and got no problems. Had to delete the BC vm from Fusion and am re-installing it.

All that being said, much easier than doing many of the helpful suggestions outlined above. I highly recommend Camp Tune. Good stuff for guys like me that just want to know what time it is, not wanting to make a watch.

aerosteam

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2012
Lincoln UK
Have been lurking and a Mac user for about two year, have finally got something that I hope is useful to add to the forums.
Was running out of space on Bootcamp partition on MBP, early 2011, Lion 10.7.3. having read this thread and others bought Paragon Camp Tune 9.5 for $20. Download and burn to CD went as it should. Rebooted using CD as per instructions, then came the only disconcerting bit, had a black screen with a travelling timing band at the bottom and 'Windows loading files' text exactly as you get when loading Win 7, but after about two minutes the Paragon screen appeared, selected Resize partition, set the size required, accepted the changes and away it went. Took about 1hr 45mins. MBP rebooted and I now have a larger Bootcamp partition no complications.
I have used Paragon partitioning software in Windows and always found that it does what it says on the tin. No connection with Paragon other than as a satisfied customer.

dglavin96

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2012
I resized my bootcamp partition using camptune and it worked like a charm. Unfortunately this only solves part of my problem. My hard disc consists of 3 partitions: 71 GB Free Space, 22 GB Lion and 28 GB Bootcamp. No quite sure how this happened. Is there a simple process by which I can reduce the free space and expand the other 2 partitions?

n2deep

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2010
I just resized my bootcamp partition using camptune as well. I'm running Lion 10.7.3 and it was about a 5 minute ordeal. I installed camptune, reset computer, ran software and it was as easy as that.

djdman2000

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2012
No problems with camptune! :)

Gave camptune a shot last night. It worked flawlessly! I highly suggest the $20 which is completely worth it. I usually lurk or search forums but thought it would be helpful for others to know that camptune did in fact work. I am running the latest version of lion and win7.

geogolem

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2012
Are you referring to Camptune X. I am debating purchasing it.

I was also wondering what additional features it provides. For example can you backup your entire system including both the MAX OS X and Windows Bootcamp partitions?

noahcoad

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2012
Dallas, TX
Try GParted, rEFIt then Win7 Startup Repair

You can use the free GParted partition editor, rEFIt to sync GPT/MBR maps, then the Windows 7 disc Startup Repair. Worked for me. Posted about it here: http://noahcoad.com/post/1431364371...acbook-and-keep-windows-7-boot-camp-partition

Of course for the money Camptune X is a good go (I bought it too), but if it's too late and you're in a pickle, or want a free alternative, try that above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.