Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inzite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2011
Hi all, just got my new air 11" (nice and fast!!), any suggestions for a nice small mouse to take on the go? been looking at razor orochi... preferably a wireless mouse. I will do occasional photo editing on the air. :D

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
Any particular reason why the Magic Mouse wasn't paid some attention?

PeterKG

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
Hi all, just got my new air 11" (nice and fast!!), any suggestions for a nice small mouse to take on the go? been looking at razor orochi... preferably a wireless mouse. I will do occasional photo editing on the air. :D

You bought a new computer with Lion installed. Lion gives you the option of using six different mouse gestures. So the Apple Magic Mouse would be the best match. Not a mouse designed for Windows users.

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
To OP: Logitech makes good bluetooth-mice. I recommend the v470.

Probably because it sux.

I second this. Both the Logitech V470 (I own 2 of them now) and the comment about the Magic Mouse, although I wouldn't put it like that :)

To elaborate: The Magic Mouse is way too flat for my hands. It is in no way ergonomical and I get cramps immediately. I understand it has to be this way for the touchpad to be usable but it just doesn't work for me.

PaulWog

Suspended
Jun 28, 2011

Don't bother with a mouse. The touchpad is just fine.

inzite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2011
Any particular reason why the Magic Mouse wasn't paid some attention?

it was the first mouse i looked into actually, however seems that there might be better alternatives especially when i'm not going to use gestures from lion much when i'm spending my time in lightroom or photoshop.

do search for the logitech mini mouse - usb - the usb device is so small - I have two of these...
was actually looking at these last nite and looks like it could do the job.

Probably because it sux.

haha, i duno, if we can't settle on something maybe we will take the mac.

I spent a lot of time researching this myself, and ended up with this from Verbatim: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Z6Q2LC

It works great, and the metallic white color is a good match for the MBA.
hmm.. looks nice, wonder how it compares with the razer.

Razer Orochi
me wants but the lady keeps reminding me how we broke 2 already from over usage (sticky left clicks from clicking too much)

You bought a new computer with Lion installed. Lion gives you the option of using six different mouse gestures. So the Apple Magic Mouse would be the best match. Not a mouse designed for Windows users.

yes i love the gesture system in lion however i probably won't be using thos gestures while i'm editing in lightroom and photoshop.

Seconded. I actually have two of them now since I bought a second one when I thought I lost my first one. :eek: Oh well. Awesome mouse:D

thanks for input on the razer

Yes, strongly agree.

see above..

sure, why don't you get magic mouse :D

again, see above..

I use Rocketfish Bluetooth mouse!

looks real niffty

Here's a vid of Orochi + MacBook Air, if you haven't seen it yet. But I don't like the black + blue compared to white MBA, so I would probably go for Magic Mouse. It's nicer and more useful with Lion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeHEwj8zdSU

mmm...

I hear the Orochi battery is bad when being used wireless. They aren't rechargeable too.

i would probably opt for non rechargeable simply just for convenience, battery is easy to buy through out the world. I hate it when it runs out of battery and forces me to charge it.

IMHO for portable use non-recharable is the way to go.

ditto!

I second this. Both the Logitech V470 (I own 2 of them now) and the comment about the Magic Mouse, although I wouldn't put it like that :)

To elaborate: The Magic Mouse is way too flat for my hands. It is in no way ergonomical and I get cramps immediately. I understand it has to be this way for the touchpad to be usable but it just doesn't work for me.

appreciate the input on the magic mouse.

I was looking for this one: http://www.logitech.com/nl-nl/mice-pointers/mice/devices/5846

But it's really annoying that it isn't a bluetooth mouse and you need a extra usb dongle,.. The Razor Orochi looks really great!

yes.. :/

I too would recommend Magic Mouse. It's only drawback is price.

the razer isn't cheaper...

Amazing mouse once you disable apples acceleration on it.

i see.. :D

touchpad is great, but it won't suffice when doing editing in lightroom and photoshop especially when doing 1:1 editing on a small screen like the 11".

the search continues :p:p:p

Nioxic

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2011
Denmark
sure, why don't you get magic mouse :D

Design / comfortwise.. its probably the worst mouse on the market, imo

its way too flat and has no grip etc.

at least for normal "mand-size" hands :p

I personally use a Logitech G500.. on my pc. but i dont use any for my MBA. if i had to i'd use my old MX518 (same design as the G500)

Azathoth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
Design / comfortwise.. its probably the worst mouse on the market, imo

its way too flat and has no grip etc.

at least for normal "mand-size" hands :p

Nah, nothing to do with hand size - I have hands that match my 120pound (male) frame. And the Magic Mouse is still an ergonomic abomination (there are a couple in the office and I never use them).

I like the Logitech M505 sized mice - compact, ergonomic, work well with the nano receiver, though for my MBP I manage to use just the trackpad.

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009

I fully agree. There is really no need for a mouse on a macbook. I used to say that with a thinkpad, but since they botched the trackpad by moving trying to copy the macbook's (no pc maker has adequately sensitive or tuned drivers to pull off the one touchpad button thing), the macbook pro /air lines are the only ones where I think that a mouse is unnecessary. The ergonomics of its touchpad are equivalent to a mouse. Only buy a mouse if you think that you can't adjust, but in terms of precision and efficiency, the touchpad works as well.

jace88

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney, Australia

Probably because it sux.

I use the v470. Looks good and is straightforward. I'm not a fan of the Apple mouse now- for some reason I find it awkward/uncomfortable to use, and the multitouch gestures don't seem to work very well for me other than scrolling.

robby818

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
Logitech m505. On sale at Costco for $19.

I generally abhor wireless mouse. Too much lag, especially bluetooth ones. I've been using the m505 for months now and really like it. It uses a tiny dongle which I just leave plugged in my MBA. It works well with Apple's standard drivers, unlike many Microsoft mice which track oddly unless the Microsoft software is installed. The mice with dongles generally work much better than the bluetooth ones. A good value.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.