Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mythlin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Hey Guys,
I've been wondering something. I just got a XFX ATI Radeon HD 6870, about a week ago. I can still return it if I wanted. It's a great card, much faster than the 2600XT in my Mac Pro before. I didn't know that with Lion, the NVIDIA 5xx series was supported out-of-the-box like my 6870. So if anyone knows for sure or can speculate how much faster than GTX 580 the "EVGA" reference version would be than my current card. I do a lot of video editing in Final Cut 10/7 and Photo Editing in Aperture 3. Would I see an even bigger performance boost..?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Mythlin
:apple:

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
You will need a 2nd Nvidia "Helper" card if you are planning to use ATY_Init

GT120 is a good choice.

You can look at PC sites like Tom's and check their GPU charts but Mac driver performance doesn't correlate perfectly.

You should also consider what apps you use.

Apple apps are better with ATI/AMD, Adobe has an Nvidia slant.

A GTX580 is top of range, while a 6870 is middle of range.

Mythlin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
You will need a 2nd Nvidia "Helper" card if you are planning to use ATY_Init

GT120 is a good choice.

You can look at PC sites like Tom's and check their GPU charts but Mac driver performance doesn't correlate perfectly.

You should also consider what apps you use.

Apple apps are better with ATI/AMD, Adobe has an Nvidia slant.

A GTX580 is top of range, while a 6870 is middle of range.

What is the "ATY_Init"? Hmm, yeah. I'll have to check out some reviews like that. Yeah, I use Apple apps the most. Maybe I should get Apple's 5870. Well thanks for the reply! I appreciate it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.