Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JulesK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2002
I'm upgrading my MBP 17 2.5GHz C2D - I'd like to bump up the RAM and HD.

For the RAM, I put in 4GB (2x2GB) from OWC when I first purchased it in early 2008. The OWC website says that the machine will support 6GB (4GB+2GB) even though Apple says 4GB.
-Any issues with installing 6GB of RAM? Has anyone done this?
-Can I just get the 4GB module, and use the existing 2GB module that's already installed?
-Does the 4GB module go into a specific slot, or either slot?

For HD, I want to get a 750GB 7200rpm drive. OWC has all the major brands (Seagate, Hitachi, Western Digital, etc.). Is there are particular brand that is more reliable, better built than the others, or are they basically commodity items?

Also, has anyone tried the OWC DIY kits? Is it really as easy as mirroring the installed drive, and then swapping?

Many thanks in advance for your comments.

DWBurke811

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
Just fwiw, a 750GB WD Scorpio Black(which is what 7200rpm HD I would recommend getting) is almost $20 cheaper from newegg compared to OWC.

I'm pretty sure the O in OWC is for Overpriced.

As for installing the new HD, I think most people use Carbon Copy Cloner to transfer the info on their current drive to the new one. I have a SSD that should be delivered tomorrow, and personally, while I'm going to make a mirror image of my current HD on an external, I'm going to do a clean install just to start fresh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.