Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nova77

Original poster
May 12, 2011
Ok, so here's the crazy idea. Would a mac mini fit inside the second optical bay of a G4 mdd (with modding)?

I'm very aware that this may sound either like non-sense or an ambitious project. But a mini used as a Logic node inside the G4 computer would look cool, and find its use.

Awaiting ideas, insults, infos...

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
I support ya'.

I love the PowerMac G4 Quicksilver and Mirror Drive Door Models. I actually have a spare MDD case too.

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
I've tried modding a Dreamcast into a PC optical drive bay, didn't work out though, and I ended up frying the Dreamcast. If you decide to pull this off, make sure you do not let the solder points on the Logic Board do not touch the metal on the case. Sounds like common sense, I know, but I mistakenly did this in my project.

max¥¥

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Over there....
the new "flat" mini's wouldn't fit, without tearing the computer apart (they might still not fit after that), the old "square" mini's may fit.... just i think you would still need to tear it apart tho.

apart from that there is no reason why that wouldn't work, infact i did the opposite once (G4 mini + x86 PC) ill dig up the thread if ya want a look

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.