Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
I would love to see images from different angles (camera and sceen viewing angles). No one ever shows these and I have been looking for months. I have only seen the glare in person. I want to see the quality and comparison in both from many angles and close ups of different screens (movies, internet, itunes etc etc).

I hope someone can steer me in a direction where there are many pictures of the anti-glare vs glare screen. I don't want opinions on which is better... i can do that myself, but since I am deployed right now and can't go to an apple store and I am trying to make a choice by youtube videos and pictures.

Good quality, big pictures needed!:apple:

Last edited:

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I don't have photos, but will say I was very reluctant to buy a glossy laptop based on a few comments I'd heard; I went for it anyway and don't have a single problem. Blacks are richer, viewing angle is great, and the screen has extra protection. :)

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
There's three types of screen:

Glassy - what you get on the 13" MacBook Pro, default on the 15" and 17" MacBook Pro, iMac and 27" Cinema Display. Essentially a glossy display with a sheet of glass over it.

Glossy - what you get on the 11" and 13" MacBook Air. Standard glossy screen, with no glass over the front.

Antiglare - custom option on the 15" and 17" MacBook Pro. Standard matte display (with no glass over the front obviously).

On glassy, there is a lot of glare caused by the glass (remove the glass panel on the iMac to compare, or compare a 13" MacBook Pro to a 13" MacBook Air). Glossy has far, far less reflections/glare than glassy (look at the 13" MacBook Air). Antiglare has no sharp reflections found on glossy or glassy.

You'll need to compare yourself, but glassy displays suck - I'm fine with glossy, and when I went from a 13" MacBook Pro with a glassy display to a 13" MacBook Air with glossy, the amount of reduced glare was significant. Just go and compare yourself.

Some images found via Google Images:

5599159768_201f7a1c73.jpg

outdoor.jpg

4858-macbook_pro_side_by_side_outside_from_left_mg_9304_super.jpg

MacBook%20Pro%20side%20by%20side%20outside%20front%202_MG_9300.jpg

DSC_1582.jpg

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
There's three types of screen:

Glassy - what you get on the 13" MacBook Pro, default on the 15" and 17" MacBook Pro, iMac and 27" Cinema Display. Essentially a glossy display with a sheet of glass over it.

Glossy - what you get on the 11" and 13" MacBook Air. Standard glossy screen, with no glass over the front.

Antiglare - custom option on the 15" and 17" MacBook Pro. Standard matte display (with no glass over the front obviously).

Thats pretty cool i knew there was a difference in the MBA vs MBP, i saw that for myself at the PX here but didnt think anything of it. No way am i going to get a MBA, so I am left with the 2 options on the MBP.

Also i have already seen those images and they are pretty good, but i was hoping for more without a big sun window in the roof and different lighting/viewing angles of both together. I did manage to find one but have no clue where it went or i would post it. It was a glassy MBP indoors, one window and most the pictures were taken away from it. Still such a tough decision.

Just go and compare yourself.

I would love to but i can't. If i wait until i go home on r&r for 2 weeks they might have to order it for me with the options i want (256gb ssd, 2.3ghz i7, and most likely the matte screen) plus my ram upgrade i will be installing myself. I don't have time for that, and need to do as much work to get my MBP ready for the rest of my deployment as i can in those 2 weeks (among many other unholy things:D)... so many movies to download, so much music, pictures, updating, as much stuff as you can possibly imagine or do on a daily basis is next to impossible where i am currently (and internet we pay for by the GB at a ridiculous cost.. in Bahraini Dinar) not to mention my amazing speed of a couple kbps maybe a jump to 30 kbps every 30 minutes for no more than a couple seconds. makes simple things impossible. plus i need to install windows and a couple games for my "off" time, when i do get it. thats all i can think of now but i know there is more...

so if your still reading thanks for the pics but you are right. i need to see them both. sigh. honestly though, if i buy the matte one and use it while im home (and back everything up on my hard drive.. my new one that i have to put all the stuff i talked about above on) would i be able to send it back or replace it if i don't like the screen (i will have the apple care too) for the other option?

i know all this is waaay off topic and in the wrong thread but i just dont know where to start,:confused: so i started here asking for pics.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Go for the antiglare. If you don't like it, you'll be able to swap it.

I'm stuck with a glassy display on my MacBook Pro. I got my first MacBook Pro in 2007, which had a matte display. I upgraded to the unibody one in 2008, which had a glassy display I could barely tolerate, and was extremely pleased when Apple brought back the matte version of the 15" in 2009. Sold that, and long story short, ended up with a glassy display again, which I can't stand.

Everything is much easier on the eyes without the glass. If there was a glossy version of the Pro, I'd say go for that. But there isn't. The glass just acts as a layer of glare, and my eyes get tired far easier because of that. It's almost like they are focusing on the glare on the glass half the time rather than the actual display underneath the glass.

I've got a friend who took the glass off his iMac (held on magnetically) and sees a world of difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.