Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Aug 29, 2011, 07:38 AM   #1
jweaver
macrumors member

Can apple track a stolen iPad

Last night my friend left his iPad in a taxi.. He was drunk and was trying to help his even more drunk girlfriend out of the cab and by the time he got into the house it was gone..

He either left it in the taxi, or outside his house.. Either way it was an expensive night out.

I was just wondering whether there was anything that Apple can to track or lock his iPad based on the serial number?

If he had activated "Find My Ipad" then perhaps this would have helped.. But he didn't so I am just wondering whether there is any other way?

I look forwards to your thoughts

Jon
jweaver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2011, 07:42 AM   #2
blueroom
macrumors 603

Nope.
blueroom is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2011, 07:49 AM   #3
jweaver
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroom View Post
Nope.
Ahh.. Ah well.. Thought I would ask.. And if you activate "Find My Ipad"? would this have helped in these circumstances?

If so, it looks like I had better enable it on mine, as I keep putting it off and last nights events show how easily something like this can happen.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 07:49 AM   #4
miles01110
macrumors 604

Sure they can, they just don't.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 07:55 AM   #5
benhollberg
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweaver View Post
And if you activate "Find My Ipad"? would this have helped in these circumstances?
Absolutely.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 10:14 AM   #6
jweaver
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benhollberg View Post
Absolutely.
I have set up "Find my phone" on mine now (as I was too lazy to get around to it before) and am gutted for my friend

If he had done this, we would have been able to find out exactly where it was.. But he didn't do it and Apple can't be blamed for their unwillingness to help, as they provide this service for free, and if he was too lazy to bother, thats his fault.

Thanks for your help.

Jon
jweaver is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2011, 10:29 AM   #7
Ashwood11
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweaver View Post
Last night my friend left his iPad in a taxi.. He was drunk and was trying to help his even more drunk girlfriend out of the cab and by the time he got into the house it was gone..

He either left it in the taxi, or outside his house.. Either way it was an expensive night out.

I was just wondering whether there was anything that Apple can to track or lock his iPad based on the serial number?

If he had activated "Find My Ipad" then perhaps this would have helped.. But he didn't so I am just wondering whether there is any other way?

I look forwards to your thoughts

Jon
I hope he called the cab company and checked their lost & found.
Ashwood11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2011, 10:41 AM   #8
jweaver
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashwood11 View Post
I hope he called the cab company and checked their lost & found.
Of course.. We did all that before going down this route.. They have checked their cabs and there is no sign of it.. They have asked the driver and he has not seen it.. They do seem potentially keen to give us the details of the other customers who they transported after us...

Personally I would hand this over to the police now, as its still a theft which ever way you look at it.. IF ONLY he had setup "Find My iPad".. THIs would have told us exactly where it was and combined with information from the Taxi firm, it would have been pretty easy to find it.

That said I have just been thinking about it and I am not sure if "Find My Ipad" would even work.. Since it had a Passcode, there is no way that they would have got in, to register it on their WiFi network.. They only way the 'thief' would be able to use it is if they did a factory reset, and then "Find My Ipad" would no longer be configured.. So whilst its a nice idea, I don't think that it would actually work in a real world application, unless the iPad actively hunts for an open HotSpot so that it can notify the server about its location.

Jon
Old Sep 1, 2011, 12:22 AM   #9
savannahg3
macrumors newbie

Lesson learned = active "Find my iPad" ..... No one thinks this is worth the time to take doing until its a day late dollar short :/ Thanks for sharing and making people aware!

How to Configure Wireless Sync on your Mobile Apple Device
savannahg3 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2011, 12:12 AM   #10
Alexa2370
macrumors newbie

No , they don't . I think it is one feature that Apple should be able to provide for their Customer. It's not easy loosing something that expensive.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 04:01 AM   #11
thesiren
macrumors 6502

the real question here is...why in the hell would you take an iPad out with you to a bar/club/wherever it is you would get drunk and take a taxi??
Old Sep 3, 2011, 09:28 PM   #12
ideal.dreams
macrumors 68000

There is nothing Apple can do, as it has been said before. If your friend would have taken the 3 minutes to set up find my iPad, he very well could have located it by now. Thats providing that it's 3G, if it were wifi you'd have to wait for it to be connected to a network.

Sent from my iPad.
ideal.dreams is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2011, 09:51 PM   #13
Aspasia
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa2370 View Post
No , they don't . I think it is one feature that Apple should be able to provide for their Customer. It's not easy loosing something that expensive.
That's plain silly.

Cars are stolen every day, too. Ditto for laptops. I've never heard of any auto company tracking a stolen vehicle (unless you've purchased OnStar - and then it's OnStar that does the tracking), or computer manufacturers tracking down stolen merchandise. That's the job of law enforcement, not manufacturers.
Aspasia is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2012, 02:51 PM   #14
Rick420
macrumors newbie

Here's a great website to report a stolen iPad online:

http://stolen-ipad.com/
Rick420 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2012, 02:58 PM   #15
poloponies
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick420 View Post
Here's a great website to report a stolen iPad online:

http://stolen-ipad.com/
"Great" as in an opportunity for 14-year-olds to prank their friends by reporting their iPads as stolen? That's the problem with private websites acting in a pseudo law enforcement capacity. There's next to no verification required.

At least when you file a report with the police they confirm your identity and there are ramifications for making false claims.
poloponies is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2012, 09:27 PM   #16
mad cow disease
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideal.dreams View Post
There is nothing Apple can do, as it has been said before. If your friend would have taken the 3 minutes to set up find my iPad, he very well could have located it by now. Thats providing that it's 3G, if it were wifi you'd have to wait for it to be connected to a network.

Sent from my iPad.
...and if you've set the iPad to request permission before connecting to a WiFi network and set it to only connect to those it has in the past, it is basically a crapshoot. Particularly because most WiFi networks are password-protected these days.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 02:43 PM   #17
DutchAmerican
macrumors member

I do have to say here in the Netherlands a stolen iPad can be find back with help of Find My ... If you have proven it is yours (by serial number, payment or any other legal paper) they will go after it. Ofcourse it is no prio but it definetly works.

Just like I said, in The Netherlands, but I don't really think it works like that in the US and A
DutchAmerican is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 02:47 PM   #18
tigres
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideal.dreams View Post

Sent from my iPad.
Which (if locked with a passcode) would never happen. That's what is useless about find my iPad / wifi version.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 02:53 PM   #19
BFizzzle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesiren View Post
the real question here is...why in the hell would you take an iPad out with you to a bar/club/wherever it is you would get drunk and take a taxi??
im with them ^^^^^
BFizzzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 12:57 PM   #20
barkomatic
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesiren View Post
Believe it or not, there are more than a few bars in my area that have open wifi and I've seen iPads at the bar along with other wireless devices.
barkomatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 01:54 PM   #21
poloponies
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
Believe it or not, there are more than a few bars in my area that have open wifi and I've seen iPads at the bar along with other wireless devices.
To quote the wise Chris Rock:

"Just because you can do something doesn't make it a good idea."
poloponies is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 05:42 PM   #22
class77
macrumors 6502a

Kid down the street left his iPhone on the trunk when changing clothes at a local water park. They drove off and the kid realized he didn't have his phone. He activated "Find my iPhone" and was able to backtrack and find it where it had fallen on the side of the road....I swear it was like an iPhone ad!
Old Jul 7, 2012, 05:47 PM   #23
Benson11
Banned

If you have ios5 on it and you turned on find my ipad, then you could call apple and ask them how to erase data and lock it remotely. They could also track it down. Ive been to apple many times and the workers are very friendly so dont be afraid to ask
Benson11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2012, 09:37 PM   #24
harrisonw1998
macrumors regular

Not unless it was previously configured and had 3G/4G.
harrisonw1998 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting