Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nearly a month ago, Australia became the first market to see Apple win a tangible victory over Samsung in the patent dispute between the two companies, with Samsung agreeing to delay the launch of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 in that country and to provide Apple with samples of a version of the device specific for that country at least one week ahead of the launch.

samsung_logo.jpg

The Sydney Morning Herald now reports that Samsung has again agreed to delay the launch of the device in Australia, pushing the debut out to at least September 30th. The agreement came after Samsung provided Apple with samples of the Australian version of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 late last week in anticipation of launching the device at the end of this week. Apple unsurprisingly considered the Australian Galaxy Tab 10.1 to still infringe upon its intellectual property rights and requested new and extended injunctions to prevent Samsung from selling the device until the dispute can be resolved.
Apple's counsel said that while the modified version had "some reduced functionality" it "will still infringe". They sought orders from the court re-affirming the previous block on sales of the US model and asked for a new order to prevent the sale of the Australian version at least until a hearing can take place at the end of September.
For its part, Samsung has indicated that it is looking to invalidate Apple's iPad design patents and will also be filing claims against Apple for infringement by the iPad.

A new formal hearing in Apple's case against Samsung has been scheduled for September 26th and 29th, with "top executives" and others involved in the design process for the iPad and Galaxy Tab potentially appearing either in person or via video link to testify.

Article Link: Galaxy Tab 10.1 Launch in Australia Delayed Again as Apple Objects to Design

gcliv

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Come on Apple, worry about innovating and bringing the best product to market rather than trampling the little guy.

Apple is the new Microsoft.

alex.sebenski

macrumors member
May 26, 2010
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Dude. They're all copying the iPad and you know it.

It's not that they're not innovating. Their lawyers have to keep busy too. It's not like they can put their lawyers to work designing the next awesome gadget. They're good at lawsuits and copyright so that's what they do.

tablets-before-and-after-ipad.jpg

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I played with a Galaxy 10 last night at a "The Source" (Canada's reincarnation of Radio Shack). Other than "it's a 10-inch tablet" the thing looks and feels nothing like an iPad.

JilzVT

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2010
Come on Apple, worry about innovating and bringing the best product to market rather than trampling the little guy.

Since when is Samsung a little guy?

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Samsung's hardly a 'little guy'!

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca

I didn't realize Samsung was considered as the "Little Guy" in this industry :confused:

Also, I am pretty sure that Apple's Legal team is separate from the Design team (so they can manage to do both at the same time).

alex.sebenski

macrumors member
May 26, 2010
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
That's a cute picture but if you take into account that the definition of "tablet" changed, then you'll see that the "before" pictures look pretty much the same too: variations on a ruggedized computer with a stylus operated touch screen.

So the iPad changed the definition of "tablet"? Yeah. That's what I said. Boom. They're copying. Done.

bigcat318

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
That's a cute picture but if you take into account that the definition of "tablet" changed, then you'll see that the "before" pictures look pretty much the same too: variations on a ruggedized computer with a stylus operated touch screen.

Yeah I think you just strengthened his arguement by essentially implying that Apple redefined what a tablet computer was.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
O look....Apple is being pathetic again. There's a surprise. Get over it and move on. Nobody gives a rats ass if a few opinionated people 'think' Samsung copied Apple. Big deal if they did....anyone remember Xerox Parc?

iHate iLawyers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.

I don't know where you've been living, but Apple has always been sue-happier and more hostile than Microsoft.

Apparently, Apple has nothing big in the pipeline so playing the legal card is all that the company has left to do. The "copies", "clones" and "rip-offs" have become better than "the original" and Apple has every reason to be scared. They know that they cannot stop Samsung, HTC, Acer, Asus and Motorola. But at least they can slow the competition down a bit.

Jaymes

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2007
It's not that they're not innovating. Their lawyers have to keep busy too. It's not like they can put their lawyers to work designing the next awesome gadget. They're good at lawsuits and copyright so that's what they do.

"Dude". They're all copying Star Trek (I think the mid-to-late 1960s predates the release of iPad, but perhaps I have my decades mixed up).

paddipad1.jpg

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011

Why is this nonsense picture posted over and over again? If you genuinly feel that you have a case, why the need to distort reality over and over again? Same could be asked to Apple, and their lawyers, of course, but sadly they are not here to answer.

There were mulitple, quite iPad-esque* (asynchronism aside), years before the launch of the ipad (and iphone for that matter). And no, all of them didnt even force you to use a stylus.

* i.e. flat, rounded corners, bezel, centered display, few or no buttons on the front etc.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Yeah I think you just strengthened his arguement by essentially implying that Apple redefined what a tablet computer was.

I'm not denying that at all. I just question this idea that everyone was doing their own independent thing until the iPad came along and then suddenly they all became iPad clones. Well, yes and no. Apple moved the goalpost and everyone moved too, sure, but they were already doing that before Apple came along.

Put another way: if all of today's tablets are a copy of the iPad, than all of yesterday's tablets are a copy of the Panasonic Toughbook (or whatever). So nothing really's changed.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011

They didnt, at least not design-wise. Unless of course you think that taking existing trends in design and applying them on an existing artefact amounts to redefining - but that would be quite silly. If so Samsung (et al. ) would be redefining the TV pretty much every year (as an example).

----------

I'm not denying that at all. I just question this idea that everyone was doing their own independent thing until the iPad came along and then suddenly they all became iPad clones. Well, yes and no. Apple moved the goalpost and everyone moved too, sure, but they were already doing that before Apple came along.

Put another way: if all of today's tablets are a copy of the iPad, than all of yesterday's tablets are a copy of the Panasonic Toughbook (or whatever). So nothing really's changed.

They werent. The image itself is an attempt to distort reality. Afaik this (e.g.) is a tablet:
touch_pbj.gif

2004-ish device. What did Apple redefine again? Not the overall design at least.

p.s. that is just one of many examples, i just cant be bothered to past them. I've done that plenty of times on this board already to no avail.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO

Exactly, it's an apples and oranges comparison. Those tablets are purpose built for applications where you would not want anything fragile like an iPad or Galaxy Tab. They're rugged and able to withstand a beating - they're not anything your average consumer would have. You'd probably find them on construction sites or see them being carried around by the cable guy and other repairmen.

It would be like comparing Motorola's Droid with some of their 5 year old iDEN/Nextel indestructible bricks as proof that Moto copied Apple for the Droid's design.

gcliv

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2008

saving107 said:

I didn't realize Samsung was considered as the "Little Guy" in this industry :confused:

Also, I am pretty sure that Apple's Legal team is separate from the Design team (so they can manage to do both at the same time).

It's all relative. Apple is both a larger company and they dominate the tablet market. Hence they are picking on the little guy.

Maybe if Apple redirected funds from their law group to R&D we'd all be better off, yeah?

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Apparently, Apple has nothing big in the pipeline so playing the legal card is all that the company has left to do.

And you know this how?

Do you expect anyone to believe that after a decade of introducing revolutionary new products, a strategy that has taken them to the pinnacle of profitability and market-cap - that Apple is just going to sit back and stagnate? That is absurd, and I think you know it.

The fact of the matter is that Apple goes to extraordinary lengths to make sure that people don't know about "really big" things in their pipeline. And I'm quite sure that, as we sit here, Apple engineers and software developers are working on products that will surely blow away anything Samsung can even conceive of.

Within the next two months Apple will roll out the full functionality of iOS 5 and the suite of iCloud services. (Maybe Samsung will try and copy that..) Apple is also on schedule to release the iPhone 5 (I'm sure Samsung is warming up its copying machines in anticipation of that..) Most likely Apple will announce the next generation of iPad early next year. And this very site is rife with rumors and discussions - some fanciful, some that will probably prove to be reasonably accurate - about Apple's next move into the video and movie business.

Apple might (with some justification) be "angry" at Samsung for their blatant copying. But I doubt, seriously, that they are very "scared."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.